Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased Supply

Default Decreased Supply

I have been back to work for two weeks now and every day I notice I pump a little less. I discussed this with a coworker and she said she suffered the same and had to add formula. This is NOT an option for me, I want my son EBF for 6 months.

How do I up my supply? I've started back on the fenugreek and pumping at least two times at home. Part of the problem is that I can only pump once at work around 10:30. Instead of pumping at 2:30, I usually rush home to nurse him. Would it be better for me to pump and then nurse him?

This is very frustrating as I feel like we just got breastfeeding down to an art and now I'm worried about him getting enough again.

Default Re: Decreased Supply

I'm sure some moms with more pumping and working away from baby experiene will chime in with helpful advice and tips pretty soon ... in the mean time here is a link with lots of helpful information to help you with your dilemna:

I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I am not a pumper ether. I am sure that can be a frightening thing when you think that you do not have enough milk for your lo. Please take comfort in a few things;
    breastfeeding is supply and demand, I encourage you to go home and nurse nurse nurse as much as you can.
    Yes, I would really try to pump at least every 3 hours while you are away from baby, also nursing him as much as possible in addition to the pumping will help you increase also.
    Drink to thirst
    Also, the pumps are not as near as effective as your baby and there fore are not always an accurate gage of what you are producing for your baby.
    All the best!

i pump at work and i know you feel about not getting enough milk when you're pumping...which is why i also started back on fenugreek and started drinking mother's milk tea. i'm able to pump 3 times at work (9:30am, 12:30pm, and 3:30pm). there are days when i can only pumps twice.

what are your work hours? i guess depending upon what time you get off, it may be best for you to pump at work at 2:30pm rather than rush home to nurse your baby. as the pp stated, you really need to try and pump at least every 3 hours to help keep up your supply (you should pump for each missed feeding).

also, i find that massaging my breasts while i'm pumping helps yield more milk.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

LLL has a great page with information about pumping for working moms too:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

also see:

Optimizing Your Milk Supply After Returning to Work or School

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for all the helpful links. My biggest problem is that being a teacher doesn't allow me to set my own schedule and my lunch and planning hour are only half an hour apart midday so I don't get an afternoon break to pump. I may have to trade in my 20 minutes of lunch to pump, even though I'll have just pumped in order to squeak one more in.

I am SOO in the same situation - teacher, pumping, feeding during planning period at the caregivers house and I feel like I am barely keeping up. I keep thinking my supply is decreasing, too. I used to pump a lot more and DD is getting a bit more impatient at the breast. I wish I had answers for you, but I just want to sympathize!

What kind of pump are you using? That really makes a difference!

Drink a glass of water right before you pump, too. Work on relaxation/distraction techniques.

Consider pumping at other times of the day, when you are with baby, so you can provide enough milk for daycare, just until you figure out what's causing this temporary drop.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!