Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A new miracle for an LLL mommy!!!

Exclamation A new miracle for an LLL mommy!!!

Colleen, also known as blessedmomof2, gave birth to a baby girl on September 12. Mom and baby are doing well, except having a little trouble with a tight or shallow latch (getting the nipple only). Any suggestions for her?
    She gave me permission to spill the beans!
    Congratulations, Colleen!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: A new miracle for an LLL mommy!!!

Oh I'm so glad she held her in until the 12th!! Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    Oh I'm so glad she held her in until the 12th!! Congratulations!!!

Why? Was the baby a little early? Pre-term stuff can have some impact on getting breastfeeding going, so that would be good to know about.

Big congratulations to Colleen! I'll try to come back later with some information about the latch issue, or hopefully others will chime in first.

Update: OK, here's one idea, from kellymom.com (not a LLL resource, but reliable info):

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...sing-chin.html

There's a link on that page to more general latch/positioning resources. Colleen, if she sees this, should continue to work patiently to get a good deep latch every time. If her nipples are already sore from the tight latch, then it may still hurt for a bit when the baby first latches. If the pain doesn't go away within a minute, then she needs to unlatch and try again. Don't nurse through a painful latch, or you can end up worse off than you started! Hope things are going well.

--Rebecca
    Last edited by quakerm0mma; September 14th, 2006 at 08:05 PM.

Awww congrats Colleen! I wish I could help w the latch issue but I am a newbie.

Thanks, Rebecca. Colleen was online earlier today. I just PMed her a link to the thread so she can find it right away, so I'm sure she would appreciate any advice!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    Why? Was the baby a little early? Pre-term stuff can have some impact on getting breastfeeding going, so that would be good to know about.
    --Rebecca
    OH! I don't know if she was early. I only know I have two friends that have their B-day on Sept. 11th and frankly for the past five years it has sucked for both of them That's all I was thinking about trying to plan a b-day party for sept.11th.

She was actually past her due date, FYI.

Molly

Hello everyone!
    I finally have a bit of free time as Elisabeth is napping next to me, Abi, our 22 month old is napping by daddy, and it's quiet here!
    I saw the LC at the hospital today as is protocol with nursing moms once the are at home, and apparently Elisabeth's latch is fine! She kind od sucks on through a thin lipped latch at first which has caused the soreness, I guess. It's still painful, but I've been using Lansinoh, wearing my "ladies" open in the air when we have no company, and also pumped several times yesterday to relieve pressure from engorgement.
    Lizzy is slightly jaundice, so we are nursing on demand(as if I wouldn't anyway) and are spending time in the sun. Our ped isn't very worried, as when we had her bili drawn today, she wasn't even 72 hours old. By the time we see our ped for our 1 week appointment, all should be good!
    I did notice that when pumping, I didn't have the pain as in direct nursing, but I'm not giving up. I had my first dd self wean at 4 months, so I pumped until she was a year. I will if I have to again of course, but I would much rather nurse!
    Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and support!
    Colleen, mama to Abi, 22 months, and Lizzy, 3 days

Colleen!!! Congratulations!!! So happy for all of you....all sounds wonderful. Go momma!!
    -linda