Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Old dog having trouble learning new tricks

Default Old dog having trouble learning new tricks

Greetings all,

My son (first child) is 8.5 wks old and this whole BF thing is rocky at best. He was born at 35 wks and was 7lbs but had jaundice and dropped to 5lb 15oz by day 4 so we had to supplement with soy. He has had no more than 4oz of soy almost everyday since then. My supply seems tenuous at best. Mornings are good but by early evening he can "nurse" for an hour and then still chug 3 oz of pumped milk. I pump 3 times a day and can get anywhere from 1.5oz to 5oz total. He nurses on demand and usually will suckle for 30-60 min total. I get plenty of fluids, have tried mothers tea, am on fenugreek. I will be returning to work (ER doctor) in October and fear things will not get any better, especially in terms of trying to pump at work. Any advice and all handholding is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Old dog having trouble learning new tricks

Just a "handholder" here! I'm so sorry you and your little one are going through such a rough time. I'm sure other moms with more experience in both pumping and with pre-term babies will be along shortly with wonderful advice and support. Hang in there ... you sound like you are doing an incredible job and I commend you on your determination to give your son the priceless gift of breastfeeding!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hello!
    From the information you've given, it's not clear whether you truly have a supply issue. How old is your son? Do you mind if I ask about diaper output and weight gain? These are usually better indicators of supply issues than frequency/duration of nursing. Even the fact that he will still take a bottle of EBM after the evening feeding does not necessarily mean low supply.
    These links truly have a wealth of information. You clearly have already done research on this and tried many things, but maybe something will jump out at you that might help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

As for going back to work and pumping in the ER, I can see how that might be challenging! Are you able to take semi-regular breaks?
    I hope this helps! Good for you for choosing to breastfeed your baby!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hello,
    My daughter was born at 33 weeks, so I understand your issues. My first piece of advice would to stop supplementing with soy now. What you need is a couple of days of exclusive breastfeeding, no bottles. I know that it will be difficult, trust me I did it and cried way more than my daughter did, but it is extremely important that your son not get used to always having a back-up. You should also not pump for those couple of days because you need your body to get acquainted with how much milk your son needs. Just spend a few days in bed together with lots of skin to skin contact. Try putting your son on your bare chest and letting him find his way to your breast. Don't worry if he doesn't get a good latch at first, the important thing is to get him used to the breast. If he gets upset, stop and soothe him (trying hand expressing into his mouth) and start again when he calms down. I found that just having my daughter on my bare chest would increase my supply immediately. PM me if you have any questions or need help. I went through it, it takes patience and perseverance, but it is possible. I assure you.

Youngster has great diapers filled with pale urine and soft/liquidy stools. Our next weight check is next Friday which is also his 2 month shots . I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be all sunshine and roses; if it's so natural, why is it so much work and frustration??? I know it is the best food for him, and I anticipated BF for at least 6 months until reality slammed me in the face. Now I just go day-by-day; every swallow of breastmilk, whether from breast or bottle, is one less of formula.

Thanks for the input so far

Quote Originally Posted by KM00
    I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be all sunshine and roses; if it's so natural, why is it so much work and frustration???
    I thought the same thing and was very surprised at just how difficult and "un-natural" it felt. I do not know the issues surrounding preemies (quite the opposite - DS finally came at almost 42 wks) but I do agree with the PP. You need to drop the formula and EBF. It may be rough going for a few days but you need to let your body know that it has a greater demand to fill.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001