Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Axid working for anyone

Default Is Axid working for anyone

I am sitting here feeling like the worst mom in the world because my now 4wk old daughter is crying non stop and there is nothing I can do so I just put here in the pack n play and let her cry to see if anyone out there can give me any bit of advice. She has now been on Axid for one wk and it has done nothing she still has that pain cry that can be helped with nothing but eating (which does not even always work) and when I let her eat she is so full that she just spits what seems like it all back up any help.

Default Re: Is Axid working for anyone

Aw, I'm sorry! I totally remember those days, and I promise- it will get better! Has your dd been diagnosed with reflux? My dd was never diagnosed with reflux, but was labeled "colicky" by our pedi (whom I love). My dd, Jaden, would scream and scream and scream seemingly no matter what we did for her. One day, by accident, I discovered that the sound of the vaccuum cleaner worked wonders for her. I, like you, was at my wit's end and had no more ideas to try. I figured that since I wasn't able to calm her, I had just as well try to get all of the dog hair vaccuumed out of the carpet (we have two adorable dogs, as well). So, I layed her down in her pack and play and she continued to scream. I turned on the vaccuum and almost instantly she was quiet. By the time I finished vaccuuming, she was asleep. It was amazing. From then on, we used the vaccuum to calm her. When we realized that we were going to ruin our vaccuum from running it so much, I began to look for CDs with that kind of loud "white noise". I happened to come across a CD called "For Crying Out Loud" made specifically for crying babies. She's more than 5 months old now, and still sleeps with the CD track of the vaccuum every night! But, after all, if your dd indeed does have reflux, I'm sure the vaccuum won't have much effect! Other things that worked for us were swaddling, swinging, "ssshhhh"ing, and bouncing. Sorry to have rambled... Hopefully you can find something that works for you guys! Best of luck!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

My son is 8 weeks and was put on Zantac for reflux which seems to help but, I also found that he would still scream but only for me since my husband fed him bottles or breast milk and he would not scream. Here it has turned out that my milk supply has decreased. My pediatrician told me that I should not diet and should eat as many calories as I did when I was pregnant.

If you feel as though the Axid isn't working, don't be afraid to ask for something else. Not all drugs work for everyone and what works for one baby may not work for another. My daughter does great on Zantac, but I know lots of moms on this forum have had no luck with it. You don't need to let your baby suffer and I'm sure your doctor would agree. You should also know that reflux medication does not cure it, but helps ease the pain and discomfort of the acid. Good luck!

Thanks so much to all for your help. I went back to the doc today and now they say that it is just colic and I can start to ween her off of the axid since it is not working. They also say it can last up to 3 months is this true? How long did colic last for anyone else? When your baby cries does it sound like she is in pain? that is what worries me and makes me feel so bad. If I just have a fussy baby I would be able to deal with it so much better but I just am in so much heart pain because I don't know if she is in pain or if she is just this fussy. Do you think I should get a second opion.

Have you read the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block"? It goes over some of the suggestions made by other posters, but he also addresses the concerns that many parents have that their child is in pain. The basic idea is that babies are born a little early compared to other animals to accommodate their large heads, therefore some are more sensitive and crave the environment of the womb. He recommends the 5 "S's" (let's see if I can remember them all: swaddling, sssshhhing, swinging, sucking and (I knew I'd forget one!). He also goes to great lengths to say that parents often report that these methods fail, but he thinks it's because they don't do it vigorously enough, so swaddle tightly, ssshh loudly (or use the vaccuum or other loud "white noise", put the swing on the highest speed (as long as your child is secured and safe), and allow plenty of sucking (at the breast if bfing, or paci if you choose). I can't vouch for it's success because I haven't used it yet (I'm due in 2 weeks), but it really makes sense to me. I've seen it at our local library and I think it's popular enough that you may have a friend who owns it who would be willing to loan it to you, good luck!

Amy