Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18-month has heart murmer is it my fault from caffeine?

Default Re: 18-month has heart murmer is it my fault from caffeine?

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better!

As for the ingredients in Red Bull, that's something I'd been meaning to investigate.

Mother to Emma 3.18.08

dd had a heart murmur at one visit but it was gone by the next, like pp's said, it's apparently super common and often very temporary. Like pp said though, I wouldn't be concerned with the caffeine, but would be wary of the other ingredients in the Red Bull - prob nothing to do with the murmur, but may not be good for lo or you.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Nothing to worry about Momma...
    I drink at least 2 cups of coffee per day - I just can't give it up!
    Pedi told me DS had a slight murmur as well....We actually had a follow-up appt with the pedi cardiologist, today, who said it's an innocent murmur and kids grow in and out of them throughout their childhood....They always follow-up just to ensure that there's nothing more to worry about.
    Hope all goes well...GL

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I totally understand the caffeine addiction. I tried to quit while pregnant and couldn't cut it cold turkey. I had to slowly ease off.

During that time I read online that 150mg is the maximum recommendation while pregnant. The same site listed an 8-ounce Red Bull as containing 80mg of caffeine.

I don't think a heart murmur could be related to caffeine, but if it could, it doesn't seem like you're drinking enough to cause a problem.
    Holly
    Proud momma of Lily 06-13-2009

I'll just back up what the others have already said. I seriously doubt caffeine from one red bull a day is what's caused a heart murmer.

I have one coffee, sometimes two, and sometimes a cola in a day, and my daughter is fine.

Didn't drink caffeine during pregnancy, but really need the coffee kick start to my day now I'm a mother!
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Both of my children had that (4yrs and 19mos, diagnosed by an on-call pediatrician who was sort of an alarmist) but our regular pediatrician said that heart murmers are a natural part of the growing process--as the heart grows, murmers come and go. He was actually angry at the other pediatrician for making such a big deal out of it, and said that he himself doesn't usually mention murmers at this age since he knows it will only upset the parents and that children will likely grow out of it. Ask around before you go for more testing, some doctors love to weild their power.

Again, backing up what what the other moms have said...I drink a cup or 2 of coffee in the morning (seriously, i don't think i could function without it, how can you with an all night nurser?!) and my daughter is fine. I had about a half cup in the mornings towards the end of my pregnancy too. I think moderation is the key in everything! But seriously, investigate the other junk in Red Bull...yuck!
    Wife of Jacob, our hero
    Mommy of Lilia Grey born September 22nd 2008
    Auntie of Alex, our funny 4th grader!

Makeup artist, studying to be a Bradley Birth Instructor!

peaceloving, treehugging : cloth diaper lover!