Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To increase supply...

Default To increase supply...

My daughter is only three weeks old but I'm trying to start to get a store of milk for returning to work. So far, I've only tried to pump when my breasts felt full.

Does my supply naturally increase as my daughter becomes older and her needs increase, or do I try to pump when I don't feel like I'll get more than a half an ounce to and ounce out? I'm struggling with how to increase my supple without ending up with terribly sore nipples.

Default Re: To increase supply...

Remember the law of supply and demand! As your dd's demand goes up so will your supply. ry pumping after she has eaten. This way you'll get anything else that's left in there! And your supply will be building at teh same time, kinda tricking your body in to thinking that she's still hungry. I found in that first few weeks of pumpin gthat it was easier to pump once things were flowin'.
    Good luck!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I'm worried that by pumping to try to increase my supply may cause me to not have enough milk built back up when she does need to eat- does this happen?

congratulations on your LO and welcome to the forum!

your breasts are never really "empty"...so no, it wouldn't be the case in which if you pump to increase your supply that you wouldn't have enough milk to feed your baby. if you baby only nurses on one side, pump the other side after you're done nursing her. you can also pump in between feedings to help build your freezer stash.

HTH! Good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by shell31
    I'm worried that by pumping to try to increase my supply may cause me to not have enough milk built back up when she does need to eat- does this happen?
    Kellymom.com states: "Does your baby complain about slower milk flow when you pump between nursings? If so, try single pumping between nursings, instead of double pumping. Although single pumping is not as effective for increasing milk supply, this leaves one breast more full, so the milk will flow more quickly. See also these tips for babies who want a faster milk flow."

For more helpful information see:

What can I do to pump more milk?

Optimizing Your Milk Supply After Returning to Work or School

How Often Will I Have to Pump When I Return to Work?

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon