Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue Thrust reflex at 7.5 months?

Default Tongue Thrust reflex at 7.5 months?

My DD is a little over 7.5 months old. She has been EBF so far. I just started solids for her. She has been showing all signs of being interested - watches us eat and smacks her lips, tries to grab food out of our hands etc. She can also sit up unassisted.

I tried to give her some avocado for the last three days. She eagerly takes it in but is unable to work the food back to her throat and swallow. She is so happy to have the food in her mouth but then it all comes out 10 seconds later.

I read that it is the tongue thrust reflex and it means that the baby is not ready for solids. Though I read it goes away at 4-5 months.

How do I read my baby's signs now? Do I wait some more or should I try to keep giving her food to 'practice' till she overcomes her reflex? Is it normal to have it at her age?

Thank you.

Default Re: Tongue Thrust reflex at 7.5 months?

My DS is the same age, and also still has this to some extent. We started solids about 3 weeks ago, and although he's still not very interested in eating what I offer him, most of what he does take in, gets pushed back out. It has been getting better though. Now I can see that he's moving the food around his mouth with his tongue, tasting it, and getting it to the back to where he can swallow.
    I've also heard that they "should've" lost this reflex by the time they start solids, but I really think they just need to practise. If your DD is showing that many signs she's ready to eat, I would just keep offering her the food. She'll get it soon enough.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Tongue Thrust reflex at 7.5 months?

Thanks for the responses. I've tried banana yesterday and that wasn't much better either. I just hope this doesn't become a bigger issue for her.