Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having trouble during the day

Default Having trouble during the day

It seems that Kaytlynn is having trouble getting a let down during the day. She will only suck for a few seconds and then she fusses and then she's done. I can't get her to stay latched long enough to get one. I'm beginning to wonder if I have much milk during the days. I have always just nursed on demand. I can't seem to get much more than drops when I pump so I have never done it, unless it's first thing in the morning and then I can get about 6 oz out of the right side and about four out of the left side. I don't know what to do.
    I have tried taking fenugreek? but it doesn't seem to have helped AT ALL, I have also done the pumping, but like I said, I only get a few drops. Is there something else I can do?? thanks in advanced.

Default Re: Having trouble during the day

You may want to try massaging your breasts before she starts nursing, using a warm, moist compress, possibly taking a bath with your baby to nurse, any activity that helps you relax ... these can all help with a slow let down. You might also find some helpful information from the pages at these links:

Let Down Reflex Too Slow?

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...d/?msg=10852.2

Fennell is also reported to help moms with a slow let down reflex ...

Fennell

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; September 14th, 2006 at 07:14 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

how old is the baby?
    sometimes they get realy good at nursing and it doens't take them long to get alot of milk.
    IF her diapars are ok and she is happy and growing then try not to worry too much!

She just turned one. I just am worried because I don't hardly ever feel a let down any more, and she doesn't stay latched on but just a few sucks. That's why I think I'm losing my milk, she is also very distractable, anything tends to distract her! LOL

My son got this way at about 5.5 months. He became very distractable and would pop off the breast after a few sucks. I would tell him "baby its your job to get the milk out, not mine". Like he understood, but the kind talk seems to focus him more. I would also have to either leave the room or have the family leave the room to breastfeed because of his distractability. Eventually he would calm down and suck long enough to get the milk to come down. The only time I really feel let down is when I pump. It is like a small burning feeling right on the tips of the nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2one
    She just turned one. I just am worried because I don't hardly ever feel a let down any more, and she doesn't stay latched on but just a few sucks. That's why I think I'm losing my milk, she is also very distractable, anything tends to distract her! LOL
    Here are some great links about dealing with a distractible baby (I can totally empathize with you there!):

The Distractible Baby
    Breastfeeding as Baby Grows

With my little one we nurse in a dark room, do white noise, nurse lying down, etc, etc ... but her new world is just too darn exciting. This is really common in babies their age. Are you night nursing? That is one way to make up for the fewer day time feedings while your baby goes through this stage. And it is just a stage ... it's temporary.

Here us a quote from the site linked above:

"Older babies tend to be distractible and want to be a part of all the action around them. Your baby may be more interested in learning about the world than in eating during the day (these same babies often increase their night nursing to make up for their busy days).

Milestone times, such as crawling and walking, and stressful times like teething or illness can also cause baby to be less interested in nursing - these types of things are common in the second six months.

One should understand that this is not self-weaning but a temporary developmental stage.

If baby is not nursing as much because of distractibility, offer the breast often (even when he doesn't "ask" to nurse). Make up for lost time by nursing more often during the night. Older babies may nurse better if you try different and novel nursing positions in which they have more control - baby standing up, sitting on your lap facing you, etc."

It's also normal not to feel a let down as baby gets older. HTH!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

How is your diet? Are you getting enough water?

This happened to me when I start exercising regular. I increased my food and water intake and started pumping after each nursing session. It took about a week for my milk to regulate again. I hope my experience helps; good luck.

Sara

Well, I'm trying to drink more water as it is, and I've also started trying to pump that side everytime I feed her. I'm hoping things will start to look up. Thanks guys!!