Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused About Lipase and Frozen Milk

Exclamation Confused About Lipase and Frozen Milk

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if I have a lipase issue or not. There was a time that I thought I did, but I think my milk wasn't staying cold enough at the sitter's house. She puts it in the back of her fridge now and I have not had a problem since (knock on wood).

Many times, I freeze milk that has been in the fridge for a few days. I know it isn't ideal, but it happens. If you freeze milk that smells fine, could you defrost it and find that it is no good (even if it is not frozen past the time guidelines)? Can it turn while in the freezer?

Maybe that's a silly question, but the thought scares me. Also, could you have a lipase issue even if your milk lasts 4 or 5 days in the fridge or do women with lipase issues find that their milk usually turns within a few hours of it being pumped?

I've done some reading from the sticky posted about lipase, but was hoping someone with experience could answer these questions for me. Does scalding your milk take away some of the "good stuff"?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Confused About Lipase and Frozen Milk

My experience

- my expressed breast milk was okay in the fridge for about 2 days before getting the lipase taste / smell

- the lipase enzymes continue to work in the freezer (unless scalded first) but just at a slower rate, so I would have EBM in the freezer for awhile that would end up with the lipase taste / smell

I did some experiments - put a very small amount of EBM in a bottle in the fridge and did a smell / taste test at regular intervals to figure out how long I could keep EBM in the fridge without needing to first scald it. For some people this is a couple of hours, for others a couple of days.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Many times, I freeze milk that has been in the fridge for a few days. I know it isn't ideal, but it happens. If you freeze milk that smells fine, could you defrost it and find that it is no good (even if it is not frozen past the time guidelines)? Can it turn while in the freezer?
    Yes, lipase still continues in the freezer unless your milk was scalded first.

Scalding does take away a little "good stuff" but the milk is still better than any alternative (i.e. formula). Fresh expressed is better than scalded, and fresh expressed is better than frozen but I forget how frozen and scalded compare. But there is nothing "wrong" with lipase milk - if your baby takes it, then continue on that way - it will not harm your baby. For many of us though, or babes rejected the milk unless it was scalded so we had to scald.

HTH

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09

Thank you for the helpful replies everyone! I really do appreciate your time!

some babies will refuse frozen milk anyways with out a lipase problem.
    how old is your baby?

Sorry, I don't know how to highlight the responses, so that I can show which one I am responding to...

My DD will be 17 weeks on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    some babies will refuse frozen milk anyways with out a lipase problem.
    This describes my current nursling. He hates thawed milk. A friend of mine's baby will take the exact same thawed milk, and it does taste fine to me. It's just him.

I agree with the PP. Some mamas find their milk can last a few days before it tastes terrible. I also did some experiments to see when my milk turned. Mine takes about 2.5 days before the weird flavor comes up. So if I know I need to save it for, say 3-4 days out, since he won't take previously frozen milk, I scald it and then stick it in the fridge. Since milk is supposed to be able to stay fresh in the fridge for 7 to 8 days, if it can't make it that far, then you might have a lipase problem.

I pump for a friend's baby too and deliver milk to her once a week. We have found that if I freeze what I've pumped for her right away, it is OK, which is totally weird, as most mamas find they have a lipase problem when they thaw milk they've frozen and find it tastes or smells bad. Of course, it isn't frozen long term, like weeks or months, because she uses it that week, but The only thing I can come up with is that the freezing slows the lipase down long enough to let me store it for her.

If your baby will take it as is, great, but if not, then you start working out a work-around.

FWIW, I used to freeze milk that had been in the fridge for a few days, realized I didn't need it in the next couple of days and froze it, and it was fine (back before the lipase issue started). I never had any problems. You could try it and see. .. but I'd check the milk before freezing it and then check again when you thaw it later.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

17 weeks is still pretty young!

Susan - thank you for all of the great information! Looks like I will be conducting some experiments this weekend. Not sure that I have a problem and am really hoping that I don't! You mamas are amazing for dealing with this so well!

andreafromohio - does the age of your baby have something to do with when lipase can occur? I'm confused...