Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Month Old Not Gaining Weight, Please Advise

Default Re: 8 Month Old Not Gaining Weight, Please Advise

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinhim View Post
    how do you know then really? and what test can moms take for hormones? i have a noduleon my thyroid and i am hoping to get tested soon...what are the levels i should look for w/ breastfeeding and supply? my baby gainned well in beginning, but by 3 months it really slowed down...wonderiing if it is me....i nurse tons like last post and shev still seems hungry...not supplementing yet,hopefully food soon. baby is 4 1/2 mos kinda like post below w me
    I never had any supply - baby couldn't gain weight on EBM ever. Sounds like your supply was (and possibly is) fine. Getting your thyroid checked is a good start, your health care provider should know all about the levels and BF.

The reason I say your supply possibly is ok is because your baby is still gaining (a very good sign) and their growth rates vary wildly - no baby really grows in a nice smooth curve - it is all about peaks and spurts. Also, a baby "still seeming hungry" is common at this age - between growth spurts and teething babies between 3 and 6 months constantly seem to want more. How is output (the best way to work out input for a BF baby)? How many wets, how many dirties?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: 8 Month Old Not Gaining Weight, Please Advise

The reason I say your supply possibly is ok is because your baby is still gaining (a very good sign) and their growth rates vary wildly - no baby really grows in a nice smooth curve - it is all about peaks and spurts. Also, a baby "still seeming hungry" is common at this age - between growth spurts and teething babies between 3 and 6 months constantly seem to want more. How is output (the best way to work out input for a BF baby)? How many wets, how many dirties?

I just always wonder-even though she is gaining we seem to not be dancing-Ihave posted this on the infant site and such encouragemtn too...ok "still seems hungry" -she nurses sometimes hourly and after she is "done" she rams her hands in her mouth and chews if I offer she refuses and fusses-she is a very fussy nurser and just doesnt seem "satisifed and content-very wiggley and breast and fussy too..I have to change postions all the time with her and feedings sometime take and hour...she eats in her sleep...my letdowns seem to be slow at times...so she falls asleep and eats and waits for me to kick in-well this is all what I think. I saw on the other post that stress can inhibit letdowns-well if that is the case I am doomed! I am not a relaxed person by nature and with 4 kids and the baby fussy at breast it makes it hard to just relaz and nurse-plus my alleriges are in high gear. so I just muddle through it and after every nurse I dont feel confident she is ok-it is an unsettling in my heart. her dipaers really depend daily....never the same. if I see at least 4 I am hoping she is ok....she is gaining but feeding her is tough and stressful and not enjoyable-and when she changes on me=whew it throws me through a loop. she even refuses me when I just offer...so i wonder sometimes if she has her own version of a strike....I want to wait till six month for soilds but I dont know if her and I will last that long=I wont give up on BF but man this is a struggle-I am hoping to hear from another lac to watch feedings so will see-call dr on monday for refulx possibly.

thanks for your encouragement