Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Multivitamin for toddler?

Default Multivitamin for toddler?

DS is 21 months and still nursing 3x per day. He has always been a really good solids eater, and I provide him with a very healthy and balanced diet. He eats lots of fruits and vegetables, meat, and whole grains. I cook dinner 6 nights per week and we rarely eat out.

I have never given him any sort of vitamins.... but now for some reason I'm starting to feel guilty! I don't know why... I just feel like maybe I should give him some "just in case."

Does anyone else give their toddler vitamins?

Default Re: Multivitamin for toddler?

I wouldn't. If he's eating a well balanced diet and drinking breastmilk he shouldn't be lacking anything
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I wouldn't. If he's eating a well balanced diet and drinking breastmilk he shouldn't be lacking anything
    We are vitamin junkies around here.

We have our 2 year old on a multivitamin (gummy kind) and vitamin D drops. But my milk is dried up (pregnancy!) and his diet is bleh and not much fruit or veg.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I also give my toddler a multivitamin. But he's a terribly picky eater. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if your ds eats very well.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I asked our pediatrician not long ago if we needed to give Thomas a multivitamin for pretty much the same reason you mentioned--a vague sense of guilt --and she said that he didn't need one, but that if I was going to drive myself nuts about not giving him one, to just do it every other day or so, so that's what we've been doing. (He's not nursing anymore and is increasingly picky, so it makes me feel better to do it.)

We give our 21 month old a dose of liquid multi vitamins in his juice. And we have since he was anemic at 9months. He's actually never had juice without vitamins in it.

I was scarred from the guilt of his anemia so I don't think I'll stop giving him vitamins.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

My toddler gets the Dr. Sears multii and fishy ones..he loves them! They are chewy.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    We are vitamin junkies around here.

We have our 2 year old on a multivitamin (gummy kind) and vitamin D drops. But my milk is dried up (pregnancy!) and his diet is bleh and not much fruit or veg.

same for us (except i'm not pregnant/BFing him)
    he eats well one day, and eats like poo the next, so I feel better knowing he is at least getting something from his vitamins!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

we just started Vitamins since my pedi doesn't really recommend them until they are three.. this is the one I give her.. I really don't do anythign that looks like candy since I don't want her thinking these are treats or candy.. so she get the plain ol animal shape one and then we buy the green food vitamin too they offer..
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-A...5010272&sr=8-1
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

We just started about a month ago the Flinstone's first vitamins. Clayton likes them and doesn't mind crunching them. I think they are the "firsts" so they are for 2-3 year olds specifically. I feel better knowing he's getting the vitamins, because he also is a finicky eater. Good one day, bad the next.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*