Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping for a week while away and then ?

Exclamation pumping for a week while away and then ?

hey ladies! I am currently full time bf my 5 months old. DH are having some problems recently, mainly due to the lack of time we spend together without the kids and so much happened in the last two years (bought a house, 2 kids, I got a new job...) . So, yesterday, DH offered me to go away in vacation for a week during the winter and his mom would take care of the kids. I think that's exactly what we need, a big rest and little time together.

This would probably happen in March, so DD would be 11 months old. Do you think it would be possible for me to leave expressed breast milk to his mom, keep pumping while away just to keep the supply and then go back to breastfeeding without too much trouble when I'll come back? I mean, at this point, my understanding is that DD will probably drink less anyway but my fear is that she would refuse to nurse when I'll come back even if the supply is still there. If my MIL needs to give her a little bit of cow milk while I'm away, I don't have a problem with that, but I wanna keep breastfeeding after 1 (probably morning and evenings). I can't really go later in the year because I'll have to go back to work in April and also, because we've agreed that we would not have another kid before spending a vacation alone (w/o kids). We went to Costa Rica with the DD1 when she was 10 months old but I'm not willing to do it again this time.

Any advices? experiences to share?
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Default Re: pumping for a week while away and then ?

Tough call momma. I think that if you make the plans and know way in advance you can prepare yourself for the trip. However, there isn't really any guarantee that she will be nursing a lot less at that age. If she was still very attached and needing to nurse a lot, you might stress so much during your relaxing vacation it could backfire.

Is is possible to push the vaca back to when she's closer to 18 months, or maybe don't go for as long? Even a weekend away is nice!!

Whatever you decide, you know this is the place to come for support when the time comes. Hopefully other mommas who have been apart from their LO's for a week will chime in.

I just left my over 2 year old alone for the first time over the summer for a weekend. It was much needed, but I don't think I could do a week away from him even at his age.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I agree it's a tough call. I'd look at it this way, it's a roll of the dice how this will effect nursing. Is the trip worth it to you guys?

Maybe it is? If so you don't really know what your going to get until you get back. What would worry me is that I would be a wreck the entire vacation and then I'd spend weeks and possibly months repairing things. Sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I still think that you guys deserve time together. Weekend somewhere close? You'd be surprised what a regular date night can do for your relationship these days too.

Have you guys been away for a night before? I'd give that a try closer to time if you guys do go. I wouldn't just go a week cold turkey. Family is a huge balancing act, good luck whatever you decide!

thanks for sharing your toughts with me ladies. I think the week end idea is great. We might try that during Xmas Holidays to see how it goes. a week in the south is still in our mind, and we're also thinking about paying a trip to my sister as a "end of University gift" so she could babysitt a bit too. I can't wait until 18 months because I won't have any vacation then. Anyway, I'll wait and see how it goes for a weekend and then we'll decide.

thanks a lot girls!
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

We just did our first weekend away right before our twins turned one year. Like you, we needed some us time. One daughter did fine with EBM and a sippy and didn't mind my being gone at all. My other daughter refused all milk and drinks for the entire three days we were gone, eating solids well, but not drinking anything, but the water my MIL got her to drink from her cup as a game a little each day. Mind you this is normal for how she is when I am gone all week for work. The difference is that I usually nurse her first thing in the morning and at night. Both girls wanted to nurse immediately when I got home and have picked up like I never left.

I took my pump in style with me and used it regularly, but I am not a very good pumper. I ended up with a clogged duct because I just had so much milk that a pump couldn't get out and that look much longer to recover from. I am going away for four days in two weeks and this time I'm taking a Lactina with me in hopes that it is more effective.