Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice Cereal mixed with breast milk

Default Rice Cereal mixed with breast milk

My little one will be 6 months in a month and has started showing agressive signs of wanting to start solids... starting about a month back. She is top of her class in weight and height and has done everything on par or earlier than we expected. However, I am adamant about NOT starting her on solids until she turns at least 6 months old. It's hard though when she watches mommy and daddy eat and is begging with her eyes and her hands!

I have been exclusively breastfeeding on demand and have never pumped. A few weeks back, I bought a few jars of Earth's Best starting purees (apples, pears, bananas, peas, carrots and sweet potatoes) and a box of their rice cereal. I have heard, and read, from many sources to start baby off with rice cereal. (although I'm really looking forward to letting her try some avacado). The directions on the back of the box say to mix the rice cereal with either water or breast milk. I would prefer mommy's milk because it seems to me that it would be a bit more nutritious and I think she would take to it better if it had a familiar taste. However, again, with never having pumped, I am at a loss on how to mix this cereal with milk! Is hand expressing enough? It doesn't seem to me that I would be able to produce enough milk with hand expressing in one sitting to be able to mix enough cereal. What about pumping? I have the same concern. When you are pumping or hand expressing milk in small increments, how do you store this? *i am beginning to think i am in the wrong forum* Do you store 20 little bags from each time you are able to get some out? Or do you continuously add to the same pouch? Then to follow up on that, do you mix the refrigerated milk to the cereal or do you have to warm it up first. If so, how? If you have more than you need in one pouch/bottle, do you warm the entire thing up and then the unused portion is wasted?

I'm sorry. I'm such a novice.

Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Rice Cereal mixed with breast milk

You could freeze the milk in an ice cube tray and each cube would probably be more than enough for the cereal. Practice mixing the cereal with water & just throw it out. There is so much cereal in those boxes.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It's hard though when she watches mommy and daddy eat and is begging with her eyes and her hands!
    You might want to give your baby a spoon and bowl to play with during meals. Sometimes that's enough to keep an eager baby busy.

I have heard, and read, from many sources to start baby off with rice cereal. (although I'm really looking forward to letting her try some avacado).
    You can start with the avocado. The only reason to start with cereal is that it's bland and fortified with vitamins and minerals. Other than that, cereal is just plain starch. Not the healthiest stuff!

Is hand expressing enough?
    Try it and see! You never know what will happen!

What about pumping? I have the same concern.
    Many moms have better luck with the pump- but pumping is a learned skill and many moms find they need to pump multiple times and try different pumps before they get a good amount of milk.

I'm sorry. I'm such a novice.
    Don't be sorry! My Dad always says "Experience is something you get right after you need it."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Giving Rylee a bowl and spoon to play with to keep her occupied sounds like a great idea. I have been pretend spoon feeding her (without any food) to get her used to the idea just a few days ago, she loves it! We have a suction bowl ready to start her off with when the time comes so I can give her that too. I'm afraid she'll poke herself in the eye with the spoon though if we leave her to her own devices...

I think I'll try the Medela manual pump (the least $ one) for starters... see how that goes. I'm sure they have storage suggestions/rules included?

I'm nowhere near starting my son on solids, but freezing the milk in an icecube tray is a brilliant idea. Would you need to cover the milk in any way, and if not I wonder how long it would stay good?

Breastfeeding my 4 year old