Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping past 1 year

Default Pumping past 1 year

Hello there,

I need some advice about breastfeeding and pumping past one year. DS#2 is 10 1/2 months, and I work 1 or 2 - 12 hour shifts per week. He is nursing 5-7 during the day, eating decent amount of solids including some cheese and yogurt, loves water, and takes bottles of EBM about every 4 hours while I'm working. I plan to let him wean himself, as I did with DS#1 (weaned at 33 months!)

My question is this: Since I'm only able to pump 1 or 2 times in a 12 hour shift now (I'm a nurse on a busy ICU unit), I can barely pump enough to replace what he's drank while I'm gone. To be honest, I am nervous about continuing to pump after 1 year also, not sure if it's allowed or my director will be supportive? I don't want to give my son cow's milk as DS#1 had severe allergy. DS#2 was sensitive for a while to cow's milk in my diet, but that seems to have subsided somewhat as he now loves cheese and I am eating plenty of dairy. I'm not sure how to handle this especially since I have to work such a long shift. I am afraid that I may end up with mastitis if I'm not able to pump in that time that I'm working and I'll be forced with the decision to wean earlier than I'd hoped to.

Any advice? I greatly appreciate it!
    Anne
    SAHM to Ethan 7/22/2005
    married to my best friend Matt since 2/12/2000

Default Re: Pumping past 1 year

on getting to where you are!

5-7 nursing sessions a day is good! After a year they can go to about 4 and still be considered to be getting all the breastmilk they need. You might find that if your nursing into the second year that it picks up and slows down again!

Around a year your supply is also pretty bullet proof. You CAN if you want slowly wean yourself from pumping and most moms do this with little impact to nursing at home. That said, I think it's perfectly reasonable to pump past a year. Just keep doing what your doing, no need to make a big deal about it if you feel like you'd get a lot of questions.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

thanks for the response...any ideas on how I'd wean myself from pumping??? I seem to be so full even just pumping once in 12 hours at work. I can usely pump 8 or more ounces.
    Anne
    SAHM to Ethan 7/22/2005
    married to my best friend Matt since 2/12/2000

Slowly! You could wean by decreasing the amount your pumping or the time your pumping. So instead of pumping 8oz you'd pump 6 or 7oz.
    Or you could pump 15 minutes instead of 20. Give yourself a few days or a week or so to give your body time to make an adjustment.
    When you feel ok with that, cut it further. Just going down slowly like that ensures you have a less chance of plugged ducts and that sort of not fun stuff.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!