Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much to worry about dental decay??

Default Re: How much to worry about dental decay??

The fact that he told you to give up the nursing is what infuriates me. The information we have leads to the opposite conclusion that weaning isn't neccesary. (as can be found in the link given above)

And FWIW I am now going to ask my brother what he was taught in DDS school... it never occured to me to ask him.

Grain of salt and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeremijasmommy View Post
    Well, to defend the dentist a bit....you want someone who is an ardent advocate for his profession, and that is just what they get taught. It is good to have a little passion for keeping your kids as healthy as possible (you don't want him to be like - "no, no, give him the juice and come back every 3 months so I can rake in the dough filling their cavities!") Take his "lecture" for what it is worth and just do what you feel best for your family. They are just baby teeth, so I'd say, do your best to get them brushing well but just remember the dentist is passionate about healthy healthy teeth, not passionate about your nursing habits. Plus, if 15% of cavities could be prevented by holding your breath for 10 minutes a day, I am sure he would "lecture" you to do that as well.
    While I appreciate your POV - he told her to wean! Irresponsible of him IMO.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

DS did have decay and did night nurse, but it was only his front two teeth where they overlap. Our dentist never asked about our habits, just filled them. I personally think it would have happened with our w/o night nursing, so we just moved on.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Soooo ~ I asked my brother about this and he confirmed that he did not learn anything with regard to night nursing (or really breastfeeding in general) during his schooling ( he went to UCLA). He said people just come up with stuff sometimes because they don't know the facts... but we already knew that ladies, didn't we

THEN as I was asking him, and the conversation unfolded he proceeded to say "but why would anyone nurse their kid after it gets teeth anyhow. I mean they get teeth around 6months. People don't nurse after, what say 1 year, do they?" Apparently he never saw me nursing L until 23 months?!

As I tried to keep a low tone of voice (as we were in the middle of Baskin Robbins ) I tried to explain the benefits and such and he said "ah, don't give me all that archealogical, world average crap" We live in America", and I said" oh, right os in America the benefits don't exist..."

blah. Who knew. DH thinks he was trying to get my goat and because I wasn't overreacting, he kept trying. I don't care really - . I was no longer trying to convince him anynmore of anything. There was a pregnant lady behind us at a table eating her ice cream and I wan'ted to be sure she heard me.
    Last edited by @llli*number4; October 5th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks everyone - the more that I have talked to other BFing moms and all of your replies I really think this dentist has not educated himself in this area. I also do think that genetics do play a large part in if a kid is prone to decay or not.

I already made an appointment for myself with a different dentist and for my DD's next check-up we are definitely going somewhere else! Not just because of his lecture but I felt the hygienist was not good with DD.
    Mommy to DM 6/21/06 and YR 4/9/08 30 months and counting

ok first thank you for potsting this.. I really never knew any of this.. I have thought about it but never longer than a few.. so now I feel like I learned something tonight.. Thank you
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

This came up on an episode of the Doctors not long ago too & Dr Sears specifically said nursing doesn't cause decay like pp's said, it is usually ppl who are uninformed on the differences (& benefits) of breastmilk & bf'ing vs. bottles of formula or cow milk. It was nice to see this addressed on a mainstream show. hopefully will help educate more of the public.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...