Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Blisters

Default Painful Blisters

Hello-

I have an almost 13 month old daughter. She has a cold and a lot of congestions right now, and it is making it extremely difficult for her to nurse so I know her latch/nursing is probably weird right now.
    Just last night I started having a lot of pain and looked at my nipple and there are blisters on them! They hurt like mad!!! I probably shouldn't have and am kicking myself but with clean hands I gently popped one of them (it was clear with clear fluid). Now it hurts way worse. I just nursed my daughter before her nap and could not even nurse on the left side where the blister popped. What should I do? I am worried it is never going to heal...my breasts feel really sore, too. I don't have any other mastitis symptoms or anything though. Please help, and thanks mamas.

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green

Default Re: Painful Blisters

Hi Christin! Sorry about the milk blisters. They often crop up when the baby has a cold or is teething and her latch is all off.

Don't feel bad about popping the blisters. I always had to lance mine with a sterilized needle. The clear fluid that came out was likely just milk- extra-watery foremilk that had built up behind the blister. If you tasted it I'm willing to bet it would have been like very salty, very watery milk.

I know it hurts like the dickens, but nursing or pumping the blistered breast is a must. You don't want to leave the milk sitting in there- you could end up with a plugged duct or (G-d forbid) mastitis. To deal with the pain, you can try a pea-sized mixture of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment (apply with a clean finger). That should help with the inflammation and prevent infection. Also, make sure that you get a good latch on the blistered side- a sloppy latch will only perpetuate and irritate the blisters.

Finally, I know it's hard to believe, but these things tend to heal fast. Mine usually took less than a week to heal completely.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had several milk blisters along the way. I also had to pop them, and they typically heal within a week or so after that. You can use neosporin over it and try and expose to the air as often as possible it speeds the healing.

Also, make sure you wear a clean bra every day and use soap/water your breast every day. Apparently I was a dirty birdie.. lol. Anyways I was one of the ones who eventually ended up w/ Mastitis after a milk blister. The bacteria got trapped under my skin and I got an infection a few weeks after the blister healed up.

Feel better!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you for all the encouragement. I am will try the ointment. Thanks again!

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green