Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How is their poop supposed to be?

Default How is their poop supposed to be?

DS is 7 months (early baby: 5.5 mo adjusted) and he's already eating about .5 cup of food 2-3 times daily. He has combinations of rice cereal, oat cereal, avocado, sweet potato, banana, all mixed with BM to make it creamy. His poop varies in color from yellow to green depending on what he eats but it seems a bit hard to me. Is it supposed to be creamy or solid? It has the consistency of raw ground meat to solid like grown up poop. Am I doing something wrong?
    Proud Momma to Emmanuel Stephen (2/14/09).

22 months and counting!
    :

Default Re: How is their poop supposed to be?

So is he eating .5 cups total a day or 1.5 cups total? 1.5 sounds like a lot for that age, especially with cereal. I agree maybe add more fruits and back of the cereal. We also skipped cereal and just did fresh fruits and veggies at that age. Neither of my kids have had stools that sound like what you are describing

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I agree with maybe backing off the cereal. At that age my DD's poops started changing consistency a bit when we added in more solids, but it was more sorta soft wet clay like (ugh! sorry for that visual ) rather than like grown up poops. We also didn't do baby cereal and started out with fresh fruits and veggies. Her poops didn't turn more adult like until she started chowing down a ton more food recently with my pregnancy-related supply drop.

Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Thank you all...
    I'll try to BF more and back off the cereals... maybe boil some rice myself or buckwheat that he already likes a lot.

Won't decreasing the cereals decrease his iron levels too much? My ped. is on my back about giving him Tri-Vi-Sol with iron (she is the 2nd doc I've gone to and she pretty much guaranteed me he would be anemic but refused to give him the iron test to save him from suffering...)! I can't give him the stuff cause it makes him sick--it hurts his stomach and he spits up too much and it smells very acidic too. It also makes him extremely hungry to the point where he eats despite the fact that his tummy is full and then he spits whatever his stomach can't take. To appease the ped. I tried introducing a little poached chicken but now he's constipated... He hasn't pooped today (any advice on helping him go? I'm thinking a little baby juice...). Guess I pushed too hard. These docs are driving me bananas!

22 months and counting!
    :

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    My DD isn't on vitamins and her ped was all huffy about checking hemoglobin at nine months and her iron levels are fine. Why don't you just give him meat? That's really high in iron. Additionally, cereal is fortified with iron and it's not easily absorbed in the system. It can be hard on tummies. Iron is best when obtained from foods naturally.

Try giving him p fruits to go poop.

And if your doc is busting on you about anemia, tell him/her that you won't be pushing the solids and the vitamins without solid data indicating that it's necessary- and that means a heel stick. Saving a child from suffering is a noble goal, but if the solids are causing constipation and upset tummy then avoiding the heel stick isn't saving your baby from suffering anyway. It's just ensuring that he suffers in a different way. I don't see how that's beneficial!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. I needed that. I want to kick myself sometimes when I think about it because I'm all decided before I go to the doc and when I get there I act like I don't know anything. I HAVE to stick to my guns about this iron business.

The nurses and docs at the NICU and later the pediatricians were also telling me that he needs vitamin D supplementation to help with his bone development. Thankfully I know a few things about human biology and my immediate reaction was like: "Why don't I just put him in the sun a little? That's how vitamin D is made anyway!" You know, they didn't know how to come back from that one! So, I take him out in the early morning sun (that and evening sun is safe as it doesn't overheat and the harmful UV rays are filtered down by the extra layers of atmosphere it goes through). He likes that. And he's not getting a tan or getting too hot as it's cool at that time...

BTW we had poached peaches today and I didn't even have to mash them. He had a great time mashing the little pieces in his mouth by himself!
    Last edited by @llli*emmanuel.s.mom; September 21st, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

22 months and counting!
    :