Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning by the end of the month...HELP!!!

Default Weaning by the end of the month...HELP!!!

My son Big D is almost 11 months. I've pumped for the past month and half since he decided to wean from the breast. I pump 4x a day to provide him BM for the day. He takes 24oz a day. I've pumped enough BM for the month of October, when he will turn 1 yr old. I am planning to jump from BM to cow's milk after he turns 1.

Unfortunately, for health reasons I need to stop. I am just very confused as to how to. I need to stop by the end of the month. How can I make it manageable? Any information will be greatly appreciate it!!!

Default Re: Weaning by the end of the month...HELP!!!

he is weaned from the breast?
    Then wean slowly from the pump. drop a pumping session a week.
    Then by the end of the month you should be about done.

dr sears has some good info on his web site about cows milk and formulas.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp

info follow up formulas here
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp#T031005

Andrea provider you with excellent advice. Go slow, drop pump sessions one at a time.

Can you share the health reason that is forcing you to wean? A lot of times moms are given bad information- for example, many moms are told that they must wean due to pregnancy, which just isn't true.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also momma don't feel like they are supposed to go from drinking 24 OZ of BM to drinking the same amount of CM. Breastmilk should be replaced by nutritious foods! How is he doing on solids?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

oh yeah 24 oz of cows milk would be alot!

Thank you ladies for all your insights. I have a prolactinoma (tumor on my pituitary gland) I need to go back to my medicine which cut my milk production. I've been off it for over 18 months and my endocrynologist thinks it is time for me to wean and go back to taking my medicine. My body needs at least 3 months to adjust and see if my tumor got bigger or there was no change. I was very blessed with the fact that was I able to nurse my son for this long. I pumped all this time so that I was able to provide my son with milk for his whole first year.

My son went on a nursing strike at 9.5 months and since then has not taken the breast. I give him my pumped BM in his sippy cup which he loves. I think in the long run it worked out better for me. Although, I must say that my breast are starting to feel the exclusively pumping for this long. I think physically I am done. Mentally, I feel relieved although still sad that my son wrote me off like that since 9.5 months. I was hurt he didn't want me but I stayed focused and knew that he needed my milk for his development and growth. I have no regrets and would absolutely do it all over again.

I will start cutting off one of my feedings this weekend. I still need to provide him with milk until the end of the month so I am scared that if I wean I won't produce enough for his feedings.