Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nutrition For My Son

Default Nutrition For My Son

I am breastfeeding my 14 month old son. He prefers breastfeeding to solid foods. Does breastmilk provide complete nutrition? How often should I breastfeed/solidfeed him in a day?
    Riley Logan 6/29/08
    Expecting 5/10/10

Default Re: Nutrition For My Son

has he had tummy troubles?
    Lots of kids with tummy troubles self regulate thier solid intake.

Dr sears has lots of good books about feeding toddlers and bigger kids too.

Keep offering!

Could you elaborate on the solids with your DS? What does he consume each day? I think at 14 months they should be eating a reasonable amount, or at least capable of doing so.

Is it possible he could have a medical reason for preferring breastmilk to solids? Tongue tie? Sensory processing/ tactile defensiveness issues? My son went through this and didn't eat any foods until after 14 months, but he also had to go through occupational eating therapy to get him there.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My son is also 14 months. After a very slow road of accepting solid foods, he is now eating 3 meals a day. At 8 months he was not taking any baby food and would gag as food got close to his mouth. We talked to an OT who specialized in feeding issues and she gave us wonderful suggestions to help overcome the sensory and behavioral aspects of the problem. Between 8-12 months, he may have eaten a few fingernail size pieces of food in a day! By about 12 months he started eating tiny portions and now he is more comfortable eating a (small, but growing) variety of foods. From what I've read and heard, after 12 months it is more important to have some solid foods for your child's nutrition and learning about textures/flavors in food.
    My son does not drink cow's milk...I still nurse him for his milk needs (usually within the hour after a solid meal) plus comfort nursing during the day and sometimes at night. I realized that if I nursed him before meals he would eat very, very little throughout the day. Eating/feeding is a very emotional issues--I know! I suggest seeking some expert help as soon as you can...Maybe your doc can recommend a pediatric occupational therapist. Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*sorensmommy; October 3rd, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sorensmommy View Post
    From what I've read and heard, after 12 months it is more important to have some solid foods for your child's nutrition and learning about textures/flavors in food.
    "Some" being the operative word. According to my pediatrician, breastmilk provides complete nutrition until the age of 1 year. Until that time, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After the first birthday, solids become an increasingly important part of a child's diet, but the transition from needing only milk to needing a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, with many babies consuming relatively small amounts of solid food well into the second year.

I know my kid ate maybe a tablespoon or two of solid food per day until around 14-15 months, and never suffered from it. We did baby-led solids (BLS), so she was in charge of her intake of solid food.

Is there any reason to be concerned about your child's weight?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son didn't really start eating much until he was 18 months old. Just thought I'd share...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Over and over again I see many breastfed children between the ages of about 13 to 18 months who seem to live on breastmilk and air. Every child is different-- some will be really interested in solid food and others are too busy to eat much. Breastmilk has the most concentrated nutrition for your toddler, so he is still getting what he needs. If you tally what he eats over the course of a week, you may find that he eats more than you think.

Sometimes there are other issues. A mom in my group had a toddler who would happily take food, but he would hold it in his mouth and spit it out for her (mostly unchanged) an hour later. His tongue-tie (which they were aware of, but which didn't interfere with breastfeeding for them) prevented him swallowing solid food. Once the tongue-tie was corrected, he started eating.

You might check out the book My Child Won't Eat! by Dr. Carlos Gonzalez. Dr. Gonzalez talks about normal eating patterns in children and the role breastfeeding plays in toddler eating.

Breastfeed your son as much as he needs, and offer solids as often as it's convenient for you. He'll eat what he needs. You'll probably find that he'll eat more after he's about 18 months old.