Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

Default Re: ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilimama View Post
    Oi... bananas!!! !!! I gave some to my bub about 3 weeks ago (6months old on the dot then) and it constipated her quite badly! Didn't have to give her any laxatives in the end, but she was EXQUISITELY (and LOUDLY!) uncomfortable. Poor thing...
    I had to fly back to South Africa for my mom-in-law's funeral and my mom was so hectic with me about bf that I allowed myself to be manipulated into starting my angel on solids at 4 months!!! It is only in the last 3 days that I've discovered La Leche and been getting support... If ONLY I had known more back then So I only give Layla her solids as an experiential thing re: textures, tastes -- but she still loves Mommy's Milk the best
    My mom said: "You've GOT to stop breastfeeding Layla every time she asks for it!!! Here, give her some cooled boiled water from this expensive bottle I bought you." Layla HATED the bottle - but every time I left Layla for a few minutes, I'd come back into the room only to find my mom forcing the bottle into my frantic baby's mouth
    Aw, Momma....We're here for you....Stay strong and give that baby boob ANYTIME SHE WANTS IT!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    Why all the hate towards the banana?

I see nothing wrong with bananas as a first food - nor does Dr. Sears, check it out here:
    http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp#back

In fact, DS1's first food was bananas. Yes, if given in excess, they could be constipating -- but no baby goes from not eating solids to downing a whole banana. For the first several times baby doesn't really "eat" but rather "tastes". Bananas are great - minimal prep, easy to feed, a great start.

Now the before 5 months thing, ok, I'll give you that...
    Me too....Bananas was his first food and he still LOVES them....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Default Re: ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

Thanks for this great advice, I'm going to try and be more consistent and also look at the blogs below, we really want her to be bilingual from the get-go!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wandermami View Post
    Our one parent/one language is a lot of fun. Books are a huge plus. Dónde está Elmo is one of the best $8 purchases I have made. Also the palabras menudas series--Pequeño Panda is DD's favorite.

Some blog recommendations: wannajugarwithmigo.blogspot.com is a mom/grandma raising bilingual kids; SpanglishBaby.com; codyscuentos.com; my blog is musicuentos.blogspot.com, more intended for older students b/c I'm a hs teacher but I have links to online kids' programming and bloggers and such. Sorpresatv.com is a fav with baby girl.
    Also on twitter: I'm @wandermami, follow as well @SpanglishBaby and @MamiTati and they'll get you following a host of others.

As a linguist my biggest tip is be consistent. Refuse to speak English unless someone around you has to know what you're saying. If you're not giving her fluent input it won't work.

GL!