Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

Angry ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

We LOVE our ped to bits, he's the best in the city IMO. They have been so supportive of bf'ing and even of our vaccine choices. So my husband took our baby in for her 4-mo checkup and the dr asked, "So is she still just breastfeeding?" Husband: "Yep."

then he said we should start her on solids by the next appt (5 mos), preferably with fruits!

Everything I read--even the two handouts he gave DH--says if you start before 6 mos start with rice cereal and I don't even want to do that! Baby girl is only 11 lbs 5 oz (5th-10th percentile) but he didn't say a word about her weight, said she was growing fine and healthy. Blecch. I told DH, "Okay. We'll start at 6 months."
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Default Re: ped said to start on bananas before 5 mos!

I'm not sure that bananas are the best first food anyway! They are a serious constipation culprit. It seems a lot of doctors start pushing for solids at 4 months. At least you know better not to listen!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Just ignore the solids advice. But don't stress too much about the weight issue. Two of milk have been in the 3% at four months.

I'm just getting started w/ solid foods at 6 months and were told bananas were not the best choice for a first food. We're doing a tiny bit of oatmeal ceral, avocados, sweet potatos and pears.

On a different topic....I saw you guys are doing one parent/ one language- how is that going? We too are trying to do that, not as consistenly as I'd like, but would love to hear any tips you might have! Muchas gracias!

my ped said the same thing about starting solids-he wasnt concern too much about her wt but I had expressed the difficulty we have with nursing and he mentioned one of his patients had the same problem as me at 3 months with her baby and he started them on formula and solids-now he is I believe from Africa and has seen babies nurse till 8 plus yrs so knows that is possible for long term. He is a very busy dr but takes time for you when he can. I dont want to start so soon-I am tossed too!

If we didnt have this difficulty with nursing then I won;t be so frazzled

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellynewmom View Post
    On a different topic....I saw you guys are doing one parent/ one language- how is that going? We too are trying to do that, not as consistenly as I'd like, but would love to hear any tips you might have! Muchas gracias!
    Our one parent/one language is a lot of fun. Books are a huge plus. Dónde está Elmo is one of the best $8 purchases I have made. Also the palabras menudas series--Pequeño Panda is DD's favorite.

Some blog recommendations: wannajugarwithmigo.blogspot.com is a mom/grandma raising bilingual kids; SpanglishBaby.com; codyscuentos.com; my blog is musicuentos.blogspot.com, more intended for older students b/c I'm a hs teacher but I have links to online kids' programming and bloggers and such. Sorpresatv.com is a fav with baby girl.
    Also on twitter: I'm @wandermami, follow as well @SpanglishBaby and @MamiTati and they'll get you following a host of others.

As a linguist my biggest tip is be consistent. Refuse to speak English unless someone around you has to know what you're saying. If you're not giving her fluent input it won't work.

GL!
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

My pedi was pushing us to start solids 2 weeks before her 6 month appointment, which seemed pretty arbitrary to us but we were kind of excited. I got advice from the smart mamas here to wait until she is ready - this link was really helpful.

We are also probably not going to start with fruits or even have them much until she is a year old. We have many, many people in our family with type 1 diabetes, which some studies have shown to be linked to early sugar intake. Also, we will be avoiding gluten until 12 mos or so as that has been linked to Celiac Disease.

Our pedi went so far as to say that she can eat rice cereal, then orange vegetables, then green veggies... Seems pretty structured to me!

So many other delicious options out there!
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

Oi... bananas!!! !!! I gave some to my bub about 3 weeks ago (6months old on the dot then) and it constipated her quite badly! Didn't have to give her any laxatives in the end, but she was EXQUISITELY (and LOUDLY!) uncomfortable. Poor thing...
    I had to fly back to South Africa for my mom-in-law's funeral and my mom was so hectic with me about bf that I allowed myself to be manipulated into starting my angel on solids at 4 months!!! It is only in the last 3 days that I've discovered La Leche and been getting support... If ONLY I had known more back then So I only give Layla her solids as an experiential thing re: textures, tastes -- but she still loves Mommy's Milk the best
    My mom said: "You've GOT to stop breastfeeding Layla every time she asks for it!!! Here, give her some cooled boiled water from this expensive bottle I bought you." Layla HATED the bottle - but every time I left Layla for a few minutes, I'd come back into the room only to find my mom forcing the bottle into my frantic baby's mouth

I wouldn't worry too much about bananas or no bananas. Many years before, babies did very fine eating fruit, vegetables in a random order. I think we are becoming a bit too obssessive with the order of introduction of solids. Unless there is a strong family history of allergy, I wouldn't worry too much. Every books says different things. Bananas have a strong potassium content which is good for babies and it has a lot of energy which could help a baby to thrive, when on the lower end of the growth curve. If you want to avoid constipation after a banana meal, make sure baby is drinking a lot and eating some veggies as well. If your pediatrician advised you on the banana diet, she had a reason for it. Your baby may need more calories.

I tried to delay introduction of solids until 6 months, but then I realized that my daughter was grumpy and fussy because she was hungry. BM was not enough. As soon as i started her on solids, her temper changed. Looking back, I should have started her on solids earlier.

Why all the hate towards the banana?

I see nothing wrong with bananas as a first food - nor does Dr. Sears, check it out here:
    http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp#back

In fact, DS1's first food was bananas. Yes, if given in excess, they could be constipating -- but no baby goes from not eating solids to downing a whole banana. For the first several times baby doesn't really "eat" but rather "tastes". Bananas are great - minimal prep, easy to feed, a great start.

Now the before 5 months thing, ok, I'll give you that...

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09