Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: avocado

Default avocado

So I got fresh avocados, how do I cook or make them for my 5 month old DD? Do i need to thin them out with breastmilk? I plan to use the majic bullet to peuree it.

I also bought sweet potatoes I am going to boil them and then puree, but I have never even eaten avocados!

thanks
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: avocado

Wait until the avocados are soft, like a soft peach under the warty green skin. Then mash them with a fork or puree them in a blender. Once the avocado is opened, it will brown (oxidize) unless you add some acid (like lemon juice), but the browning is only cosmetic, not harmful.

Any particular reason why you're starting solids at 5 months? Most recommendations are to wait until 6 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

avocado doesn't need to be cooked
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

well she is going to be 6 months in 2 weeks and seems REAL interested in food lately. She watches us eat and grabs at it. the avocados need some more ripening, so I prob wont start for another week, and then she will be nearly 6 mos!

I plan on feeding her after i nurse her. Amd if she inst interested in eating I am not going to force her. Just seems to me that she is sending out signals that she may want to try.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Your real close to 6 months, so baby should be fine. Just wanted to point out that when we think babies are interested in food, usually they are just interested in what we are doing. They will often be happy with a bowl and spoon to play with.

Also not sure if your interested in the Baby Led Solids approach, but then you wouldn't need to puree the avacado at all. There is lots of info about it in this forum.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

great choice in starting out with avocado! For future reference, you can ripen a still firm avocado by placing it in a paperbag overnight, somehow that seems to make it ripe.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

What a treat you and your baby are in for! Avocados have to be one of my FAVORITE food in the world! Yum!!

As previously said, you don't have to cook them, for the baby just mash it up and mix w/ a bit of breastmilk and for you (you have to try them of course )I either slice it up or just mash it in the shell and then sprinkle a bit of salt and maybe a splash of lemon juice on it. To cut it slice the skin long way all the way around and then "twist" the halves.

If you have left overs after feeding baby (although there are never any left over avocados in my house- ever!!!) keep the pit and store it w/ the extra mashed up avocado- that will help it from turning brown. Although it make not look as nice, brownish avocado is still yummy to eat! Lemon juice helps too. Bon apetit! (I have no idea how to spell that )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    well she is going to be 6 months in 2 weeks and seems REAL interested in food lately. She watches us eat and grabs at it. the avocados need some more ripening, so I prob wont start for another week, and then she will be nearly 6 mos!

I plan on feeding her after i nurse her. Amd if she inst interested in eating I am not going to force her. Just seems to me that she is sending out signals that she may want to try.
    Sounds like a good plan! I'd like to second the suggestion that you allow your baby to try the baby-led solids approach- it's so much easier than spoon-feeding!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isaiahsmommy View Post
    For future reference, you can ripen a still firm avocado by placing it in a paperbag overnight, somehow that seems to make it ripe.
    Fruit ripens when exposed to ethylene gas. Fruit produces ethylene as it ripens, but if the fruit is sitting out, the ethylene escapes and the fruit ripens slowly. Trap the gas in a paper bag, and ripening happens faster. Put a ripe banana in the bag with the unripe fruit, and the ripening process will be speedier still because the banana will donate some extra ethylene to the process.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"