Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second hand Pumps

Default Second hand Pumps

A co worker is selling her pump, any thought on buying second hand
    its a Medulla pump in style. Do I need to replace some of the tubes and
    things?

New mum to be. HELP!

Default Re: Second hand Pumps

Bump! LLL has this to say about second hand pumps, the PIS is an "open" system. http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul04p54.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hi there phobbs...

I know lots of people who have used second hand PIS pumps. I decided not to because I was nervous about the remote possiblity of milk getting into the pump motor, which doesn't seem all that likely when you actually see how it works. If you do decide to buy the used one, you would need to get your own tubing, I think that part would be the hardest to sterilize. The horns, etc. can go in boiling water, I'm not sure about the tubing.

However, you may just want to spring for a new pump. I thought the cost was high, but a friend of mine said that you'd just spend that amount on formula in two or three months if you weren't breastfeeding. Thinking about it that way made the purchase more justifiable to me.

The other concern would be that if the pump gave out, you would not be able to get it replaced on a second hand system. But maybe your coworker could. I'm not sure...

Any moms out there use a second hand pump with advice to offer this new mom to be?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Personally, I sucked it up and bought a new one. I know it's expensive but it was worth my piece of mind. My LC told me to buy a new one if I wasn't FOR SURE that the person who have me the old one didn't have any communicable diesease while using it. It sounded too risky to me. AIDS, HIV, even a yeast infection can be transferred through the pump. GL!
    First time Mom to Lilly 4-30-09 and have been
    and since.

You can find good deals on new pumps at www.bestbuybaby.com. It is where I found mine.

I was given a used pump by a coworker, at the time I was onyl two months pregnant... didnt know much about it or the different types of pumps. She gave me her PIS and once I actually did research and compared pumps, I kept it. I just replaced the things that needed replacement. Didnt bother me one bit. =]
    Im Celia
    Mommy to Audrey
    5/14/09
    7 lbs 4 oz 20 inches
    Military mom
    with my hubby of four years and we

TBTTW Member: Weight loss goal 25 lbs
    start*155*

I, too, got a second hand pump (PISA) - it was barely used and in great shape. I purchased all new parts, though - tubing and horns, bottles, etc. Worked great and I even passed it on to a friend when I was finished with it. I received some hand slapping for this on this forum at the time, but I don't regret it at all. Good luck!

I also received a PIS secondhand form another mama. I didn't buy new parts. I couldn't afford anything at the time, so I sterilized every piece of the pump several times over. I have never had a problem at all with it.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."