Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When, what food, how much to introduce? Help please :/

Default When, what food, how much to introduce? Help please :/

Ok, my son is a little over six months (first child) and is still totally breastfed. He seems to still be doing well with just breastmilk, but I want to be ready when he is for solids. And I have no clue how to go about it... Some of the things that I've read say that you shouldn't replace a (breast)feeding with solids - so I should nurse him first then offer solids after? Is that right? Right now he eats 5x/day for about 7 minutes on each side and he sleeps through the night. I want to breastfeed at least until he's one, so does that mean he'll be nursing 5x/day until then? (sorry this probably sounds dumb, but I have no idea about any of this stuff).
    Also, everyone that I know always starts their kids on cereal, then moves to veggies and fruits.

And from other things that I've read, it doesn't matter what food you start them on, it's really just personal preference? Like, I've read of some doing avocado first, or bananas, some do cereal. Is there one that's better than another? I just want to make sure he's getting enough protein.

Default Re: When, what food, how much to introduce? Help please :/

I am still starting out so I am still learning, but I do know that breastmilk is giving him plenty of protein! You do not have to worry about those things right now, the consesus on the forum is that its okay to act like food is just for experimenting new tastes and textures and not so much for providing nutrition through the first year, though I have read conflicting facts about this. If you are worried about things like iron then just do more of those foods.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Some of the things that I've read say that you shouldn't replace a (breast)feeding with solids - so I should nurse him first then offer solids after? Is that right?
    That's it exactly. Breastmilk is the ideal food, and up to the first birthday, it's really all your baby needs to stay well-nourished. Until 1 year, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

Right now he eats 5x/day for about 7 minutes on each side and he sleeps through the night. I want to breastfeed at least until he's one, so does that mean he'll be nursing 5x/day until then? (sorry this probably sounds dumb, but I have no idea about any of this stuff).
    As solids make up an increasingly important part of your baby's diet, the number of nursing sessions will probably drop off. But when that will happen is anyone's guess. At 1 year, my kid was nursing 8-12 times per day, at least.

Just a nosy question- is your baby growing well on just 5 nursing sessions per day? That's on the low, low low end for an exclusively breastfed 6 month-old.

Also, everyone that I know always starts their kids on cereal, then moves to veggies and fruits.
    The only reason to start with cereal is that it is fortified with vitamins and minerals. Other than that, it's just empty starch- not the most nutritious stuff.

And from other things that I've read, it doesn't matter what food you start them on, it's really just personal preference? Like, I've read of some doing avocado first, or bananas, some do cereal. Is there one that's better than another? I just want to make sure he's getting enough protein.
    Some people would say that personal preference is all that matters. Others would recommend avoiding certain acid or highly allergenic foods until the baby is a year old- foods like citrus and shellfish, for example. You certainly cannot go wrong by starting with avocados and bananas (though if you feed your baby a lot of bananas watch out for signs of constipation). If you're concerned about protein, try nursing more and offering protein-rich foods, like meats and beans. One of my kid's early favorites was shredded, boiled chicken from a chicken soup, which was a great food for her to self-feed.

You might want to check out the baby-led solids approach- it takes a lot of the pressure off mom and dad, and there are a lot of interesting posts on this forum regarding BLS.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As solids make up an increasingly important part of your baby's diet, the number of nursing sessions will probably drop off. But when that will happen is anyone's guess. At 1 year, my kid was nursing 8-12 times per day, at least.

Just a nosy question- is your baby growing well on just 5 nursing sessions per day? That's on the low, low low end for an exclusively breastfed 6 month-old.
    Wow, 8-12x/day! Yeah he's growing well, he's a big boy. He's up for his 6 month checkup (we had to reschedule) so I don't know his exact weight right now, but he was 18 lbs at 4 months... I feed him on demand, so I have no idea how he's so big with so few feedings

If you're concerned about protein, try nursing more and offering protein-rich foods, like meats and beans. One of my kid's early favorites was shredded, boiled chicken from a chicken soup, which was a great food for her to self-feed.
    With meats, does it matter if he has teeth yet (he doesn't).

Wow, 8-12x/day! Yeah he's growing well, he's a big boy. He's up for his 6 month checkup (we had to reschedule) so I don't know his exact weight right now, but he was 18 lbs at 4 months... I feed him on demand, so I have no idea how he's so big with so few feedings
    That's great! And amazing- there aren't many moms out there who can get away with so few feedings. Your baby must be eating a LOT in those 5 feedings/day.

With meats, does it matter if he has teeth yet (he doesn't).
    It depends on how they are prepared. You can't give a baby a chunk of meat, because it's a choking hazard. But you can certainly puree some for him, or give him some that's in tiny, soft pieces, like really well-stewed, falling-apart beef or chicken from a stew or soup. You want really soft, shred-able strands.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"