Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler latch issues

Default Toddler latch issues

Sean as a baby had a perfect latch but not anymore. Not all the time but sometimes it's just really off. When he's on it feels like it the bottom...like his tongue is not over his bottom teeth. But then he unlatches and there are teeth marks on the top. It's so frustrating. He hates when I try to correct him. He just starts screaming and clamps on making it even harder to try to fix. If I unlatch him to try again, he cries and just tries to latch on how ever he can...usually worst than the first time. It's times like this that I'm glad he's weaning.
    ~Danielle

Sean~11/1/07 Madison~4/1/09
    If you can't find me here, look for me at www.ftm-forum.com

Default Re: Toddler latch issues

How old is he? Is he old enough to know what hurt means? Because my son's dad likes to playfight with our son, I taught him at a very early age what was gentle and what was rough. When my son latches wrong or plays with my nipples too roughly, I just say 'ouchie, you're hurting mommy!" That normally makes him stop right away since from my example, he know that when he hurts me or anyone for that matter, he should try to make it better by looking concerned and offering kisses. He learned this because that is how I react to his ouchies, in the beginning I would really exaggerate and sometime now I still do to make my point.

When he was little and he would try to bite because he was teething I would just give him a firm 'no!'

Hope it works out soon!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

He'll be 2 November 1st. He does understand what gentle is. I never thought of using that word. I tell him to be gentle with his little sister and he gets it. Telling him he is hurting mommy doesn't work...I tried that. I'll try telling him to be gentle and see if that works. I was talking to someone else on another board and also discovered that I've become very lax on positioning him. So, I'm also going to pay more attention to that and see if that makes a difference.
    ~Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamadani View Post
    He'll be 2 November 1st. He does understand what gentle is. I never thought of using that word. I tell him to be gentle with his little sister and he gets it. Telling him he is hurting mommy doesn't work...I tried that. I'll try telling him to be gentle and see if that works. I was talking to someone else on another board and also discovered that I've become very lax on positioning him. So, I'm also going to pay more attention to that and see if that makes a difference.
    how are things this week mama?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Things have gotten a bit better. It's normally fine as long as I'm really carefull on how he's laying in my lap. ...no more nursing acrobats lol I think he's understanding. It's when he's upset that he tends to forget.
    ~Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamadani View Post
    ...no more nursing acrobats lol
    us too! glad to hear it's getting better.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!