I have the opportunity to visit a life long friend in Europe this winter. LO will be 23.5 months at the time. Currently she is still BF 3-4x a day. I had always wanted to BF to 2 years - this trip if it happened, would be a few weeks shy of that. I don't think I want to tandem nurse, and I plan to TTC probably next spring/summer. Was thinking of starting in the winter when she turned 2, but thought it would be nice to delay a bit to give her more time to BF w/out me being PG, and more time for her to self wean. Also would be nice to not have another winter baby - and then there is a family event in L.A. in Aug. that I'd like to go to non-pg. So I could start TTC as late as next Aug., meaning LO would have plenty of more time to nurse and self wean after turning 2. (another 6 months).
So that leaves me torn - do I
a) pass up on the opportunity, and just try to make the trip another time - of course would be a long time coming if I will have another nursling for at least 2 years after a 9 month pregancy.
b) wean her before leaving - which isn't that short of my 2 year goal, and she's old enough, and at the rate she is going, I dont' think she will self wean Any time soon on her own without help anyway or
c) I try to cut back some sessions to get us down to 1-2 a day, go anyway, and will she nurse again when I get home from a week away? Will I have any milk left? i can't imagine taking my big pump to Europe and trying to pump a few times a day while visiting! I also worry if we are still nursing a few times a day, that I will get totally engorged and uncomfortable. At the rate things are going, I dont' see much change happening unless I initiate. Current sessions are at wakeup, mid-morning, post afternoon nap, and bedtime. She is starting to maybe drop the mid-morning session - if we are out and about - on daycare days (3x a week) she obviously doesn't get this session. So I by Dec. I could definately be down to 3x a day. I could probably push to 2x a day by then. Is this enough to go away for a week? and
d) make no changes, go anyway, and again same questions about pumping while away and engorgement.
I know it's a little early, but a trip like this I can't plan last minute, though I"d love to wait and see where we are at.