Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've done this before, but am feeling lost...

Default I've done this before, but am feeling lost...

We're starting Owen on solids. He's 7 1/2 months or 5 months adjusted age. He's developmentally somewhere between the two ages. He is showing some signs of being developmentally ready. But not most of them. But another preemie mom said if she waited until her son showed most of the developmental signs of being ready he would have been like 14months old. So I am thinking it's different with a preemie.

I want to start with meat. We had a pot roast with horseradish sauce on it tonight and he was on my lap and seemed to want it. I put a really small piece in his mouth and he made the up and down chewing motion with his mouth and swallowed it. Then he frantically, with mouth open, searched for more (same way he tries to nurse lol) so I gave him more. He loved it. He had no problem with it being in little pieces rather than pureed.

So is this ok? To give him unpureed food off my finger? He doesn't have pincer grasp - doesn't pick things up off a flat surface in front of him. So I will have to feed it to him. How much do I feed him? I'm only going to do dinner time for now.

The next food I want to do is avacado - but how long should he have meats before I introduce it? And when I start adding that in, how much am I looking at feeding him at a meal? I have read the WHO document I posted a while ago, but we're not giving him 3 meals a day right now. I just can't get my mind around that thing for him.

With Emma we did rice cereal for a long time before anything else, but I think he's more interested in food than she ever was.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: I've done this before, but am feeling lost...

Hi there. That's so great that he loved the first food he tried! It's okay that he doesn't have a pincer grip yet, but I think one important rule about baby-led solids is that he should be able to sit up by himself. If he can do this, how about sitting him up with a big piece of meat that he can hold in his fist and gnaw on? That way he can explore the food himself--touch it, look at it, etc.--and also control how much food goes into his mouth.

Of course, if the meat is really soft, be careful that he doesn't try to cram the entire piece into his mouth at one go! My DD did this the first time she tried banana and it was very scary!

I'm not sure about spacing out the introduction of foods, so I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

Are you trying to do BLS? Or....not?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Are you trying to do BLS? Or....not?
    I don't know. I haven't read much about it. My understanding with BLS is to put the food in small pieces on their tray and they eat what they get into their mouths. No spoons and the parent doesn't put food in the child's mouth.

I don't think that will work here. Owen doesn't know how to pick things up that are small at all - like he can't quite figure out how to even pick up a small wooden block. He wants to and tries, but can't yet. But I don't think I should wait to give him food until he does.

I want to offer him the most nutritious foods possible to start. So I'm getting local grass-fed meats for him. And then we'll go to avacado. And then probably sweet potatoes.

I know I don't want to go buy baby food at this point (eventually I'll get him some cereal). But I mostly fed Emma what we were eating once she had rice cereal for a while and then some pureed fruits and veggies. I don't want to puree everything, but I'm thinking I can just feed him little pieces. I don't think that's BLS though.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Why don't you want to wait? If his adjusted age is less than 6 months why don't you feel like your milk is enough for him?

Way too lazy for formula

Why don't you want to wait? If his adjusted age is less than 6 months why don't you feel like your milk is enough for him?
    It's different with preemies. Adjusted age and real age kind of go out the window. You really start the clock from the time they were born, because that is when their gut started working, but like Jen said, you still have to watch for readiness signs, which can come later for some babies.

Nolan was ready at 6 months (but 4 months adjusted) so we started at about 6 1/2 or so. I know some preemies that just aren't ready by then.

Jen, you said he is showing some signs but not others. What signs IS he showing?
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; September 15th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Ok. I understand that I don't know as much about preemies, but if he isn't sitting unassisted and he can't get food in his own mouth, I would say not ready. ESPECIALLY if his adjusted age is less than 6 months. Do you disagree with that?

Way too lazy for formula

Ok. I understand that I don't know as much about preemies, but if he isn't sitting unassisted and he can't get food in his own mouth, I would say not ready. ESPECIALLY if his adjusted age is less than 6 months. Do you disagree with that?
    No I agree with you. That's why I am curious what signs he is actually showing now.

Nolan was sitting up and grasping things, putting things into his mouth already by then. He didn't get the pincer grasp till he was about 10-11 months though...but that one we just let time take care of because he had the others.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    It's different with preemies. Adjusted age and real age kind of go out the window. You really start the clock from the time they were born, because that is when their gut started working, but like Jen said, you still have to watch for readiness signs, which can come later for some babies.

Nolan was ready at 6 months (but 4 months adjusted) so we started at about 6 1/2 or so. I know some preemies that just aren't ready by then.

Jen, you said he is showing some signs but not others. What signs IS he showing?
    Below is from kellymom site. I bolded what he can do.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.

Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

He can put things in his mouth - like all toys go in his mouth. He just can't pick up smaller objects from in front of him. He looks at them, and puts his hand out, but he doesn't know how to make his hands work that way. Not sure if that makes sense. And when he sits on my lap during dinner, he grabs my hand as I'm putting my fork in my mouth and tries to put my hand in his mouth. When we tried the little pieces of meat last night, he was so excited about it. He didn't spit them out, chewed them, and would grab at our hands for more.

I hear ya. I have been going back and forth on this too. But he shows 3 out of 5 readiness signs. And the thing with preemies is they can be really delayed with various things but I'm not sure how that correlates with waiting for certain things. I have asked on a preemie board I'm on what people did with starting solids and it seems like some people say they started at 6mo chronological age because their neonatologist said the gut has had food for that long and others say their neonatologists recommend waiting until adjusted age of 6mo. So I don't know what to do. Owen's Dr said to do whatever I wanted, whenever, but that he'd like him to be on some solids by his 9mo appt. I feel like I can't get a sense of direction from anyone that actually knows anything about this. It's like all opinion stuff. And I trust you ladies opinions more than doctors about starting solids anyways.

I guess I just don't want to miss the opportunity of him being ready to start solids and end up with food issues of him not wanting to because of it. I've been told preemies can have more sensory issues than full term kids. And I start to wonder if at 17lbs 14oz he's truly satisfied with just breastmilk. He has been gaining about 6-8oz a week but over the last 2 weeks he gained 1.5oz. I know that's not a tell all that he needs more, but I kind of wonder if he does.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Has he begun to roll over?

Way too lazy for formula