Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding stored milk

Default feeding stored milk

Hi, Im first time mom..back to work have been pumping and freezing the milk..My husband has been thawing using the warm water method.
    My question is..
    I have been told not to save the milk that is left in the bottle for the next feeding (2hrs later)
    Im not sure if this is because its already been warmed or because the baby has drank from the bottle..
    so if he thaws using warm water and only puts 3 of the 6 oz into the bottle can he save the other 3 oz in the frig and use that later? (rewarming in warm water)

I hope this makes sense...
    any and all advice will be great.

Default Re: feeding stored milk

I believe the milk is good at room temp for 4 hours so it should be fine for the next feeding two hours later. Go to www.kellymom.com and see if they have more precise advice. I'm on my blackberry or I would link info for you. I hope you find the info you need.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: feeding stored milk

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aimeemoulin View Post
    Hi, Im first time mom..back to work have been pumping and freezing the milk..My husband has been thawing using the warm water method.
    My question is..
    I have been told not to save the milk that is left in the bottle for the next feeding (2hrs later)
    Im not sure if this is because its already been warmed or because the baby has drank from the bottle..
    so if he thaws using warm water and only puts 3 of the 6 oz into the bottle can he save the other 3 oz in the frig and use that later? (rewarming in warm water)

I hope this makes sense...
    any and all advice will be great.
    Yes the reason they say to not offer the bottle again is because saliva and bacteria from babies mouth/outside source can get in the milk. It's always better to split bottles into small amounts to avoid having to waste any. Some moms find that they have no probably reoffering once again but it's generally not advised to keep reheating your milk. Especially if it's frozen.
    Here are the LLLI Milk Storage Guidelines http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!