Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I excl. pump and always have bm ready when LO is hungry?

Default How can I excl. pump and always have bm ready when LO is hungry?

I've been trying to bf for 8 weeks and have had TONS of problems and been in so much pain. I've been pumping part of the time since she was 2 weeks old. And lately I've had more problems and have been having to give her more bottles and less on me. I'm trying to find someone to help me and see if I can get my problems resolved, but if they can't help, then I'd like to be able to pump enough to not have to give her formula--I really can't take the pain for much longer. Problem is I'm always pumping just enough for the next feeding. I can't ever seem to get ahead. If BF isn't an option, is there a way I can stock up a little so I always have some ready for her--and hopefully some more in reserve?

Default Re: How can I excl. pump and always have bm ready when LO is hungry?

Mama, I read your other posts and it sounds like a visit to the IBCLC is a must-have. It sounds like your baby's latch is pretty suboptimal, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some other problems there that the LC can pick up on when she sees you in person.

I want to encourage you to keep your baby on the breast for some feedings- at least 1 per day, more if possible. In the long run, breastfeeding is much, much easier than exclusive pumping, and it's worth keeping your options open by keeping the baby on the breast part-time. Many latch problems are caused by the baby's size: a small mouth can't take the big "bite" of breast necessary for a good latch. But as the baby grows and the baby's mouth grows, a bigger bite and deeper latch becomes much more possible.

To answer your original question: the only way to keep ahead of the baby and build up a reserve of milk is to pump more frequently and for longer periods. If you've been pumping every 2 hours, try pumping every hour. If you've been pumping for 10 minutes, try pumping for 20. Use the best possible pump with correctly-sized breast shields (the IBCLC should be able to help with that). Herbs (fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal) may help, and as a last resort, drugs (Reglan or Domperidone, ask your doc or midwife) may help too. What I've mentioned may be really hard, exhausting work- but it's the best way to pull ahead of a hungry baby when exclusively pumping. That's why I encourage you to keep your baby on the breast at least part time: breastfeeding a baby boosts your supply much more easily and naturally than is possible with the pump.

Hang in there! You're working so hard and we all applaud you for what you're doing!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How can I excl. pump and always have bm ready when LO is hungry?

Thanks. I've seen the videos and I'm trying to find a LC--I just haven't had any luck yet. I've also tried to contact a LLL, but also haven't heard back from her. I'm going to keep trying to find someone, though. I've decided that I will for sure get some hands-on help before deciding to pump excl. I'm telling myself I can go a few more weeks and hopefully things will get better. I'm just not sure it's going to, so I'm looking at my other options.