Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blocked milk duct?

Default blocked milk duct?

i wasn't sure if this belonged here or in pumping/milk production issues so i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. i think that supplementing for a brief period of time has led to a blocked milk duct in my right breast. one side of the breast is very tender and when you touch it you can feel a small lump. i've been trying wet heat and hand expression as recommended in the womanly art of breastfeeding but i was wondering if there were any other remedies some of you could recommend, i'm terribly sore.
    i've also switched to block nursing in order to try and rectify the situation.

Default Re: blocked milk duct?

I don't know what else to really tell you other than if your feeling lumps I would be going to the doctor about it. I have just suffered a second bout of mastitis. It was rather painful, my whole left breast was complete infection. I'm still trying to get the rest of the infection gone. Check your temp if you have a temp even near 37.5 I would get to a doctor. If you don't get it resolved you'll be in more pain than you are now. So just keep on nursing that side. Just use that side to nurse and pump the other side. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherama
    i wasn't sure if this belonged here or in pumping/milk production issues so i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. i think that supplementing for a brief period of time has led to a blocked milk duct in my right breast. one side of the breast is very tender and when you touch it you can feel a small lump. i've been trying wet heat and hand expression as recommended in the womanly art of breastfeeding but i was wondering if there were any other remedies some of you could recommend, i'm terribly sore.
    i've also switched to block nursing in order to try and rectify the situation.
    The most important things to do now are: empty that breast as frequently and thoroughly as possible, and get lots of rest over the next few days. If you start feeling flu-like symptoms or a fever above 101 degrees, call your doctor immediately and see what they recommend.

Some mothers can keep the affected breast very well emptied with the baby nursing frequently, other mothers might benefit from some pumping or hand expression on that side until the hard lumpy area is softer. Whatever works to keep that milk moving out. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Warmly,
    Lynnette

MASSAGE! I just went through a bout of plugged duct on the verge of mastitis and I did massage that lump - in the shower worked best, cuz then it's slippery. Nurse, nurse, nurse (as you are), warm compress, I took vitamin C with echinacea. I went bra-less as much as I could because the lump was near the elastic on the bra and I wanted to make sure that the bra itself was not interfering. Lots of rest and water.
    Good luck to you, I know how sore it can be!

Nursing your baby held in different positions can help unplug the duct, so if you normally hold your baby in the clutch hold try the football hold. You can also help to move the plug by lying your baby on the bed and kneeling over her so your breast dangles down to nurse - you feel a little absurd but this really can work!

Get lots of rest tucked up with your baby, cut back on tea, coffee and sugar and drink plenty of water, lecithin can help too.

Good luck.

thanks for all of the helpful advice! it feels a bit softer and at the next feeding i'm going to try to nurse hovering over her as suggested. i've also been trying to get as much rest as possible but it's difficult, as you can imagine!
    i'll keep you guys posted. does the vitamin c really help?

I don't think it was the Vitamin C, I think it was the Echinacea - dh just happened to buy a combined pill.
    Glad to hear it feels softer - that's a good sign. Just keep at it. Nursing in different positions is a good thing too, although my dd just looked at me like I went out of my mind!

i tried leaning over her, with her laying on the bed last night and it was really hard to get her latched on and once she was on it was difficult to get her to stay on and the whole time her eyes were so wide!

While it sounds like the "leaning over baby" position worked well for a previous poster, it doesn't sound like it was that comfortable for you! I think it might work better for you to just nurse in a variety of different comfortable positions, and try some gentle massage behind the lump during feeding.

For a period of time, I was getting clogged milk ducts very frequently. I too tried heat and it wasn't helping, however I just kept at it. I used a sock with rice in it and warmed it in the microwave. I'd hold it on the area for 20-30 minutes before it was time to nurse and then nurse him. It usually took a good 24-30 hours for mine to go away. I also used hot showers and some messaging but I don't know that it really worked. I also used a wet wash cloth that I put in the microwave for heat. Actually, I probably used that more often than the rice but the rice holds its heat longer. Changing feeding positions seemed to help (I also tried kneeling over him once and he thought I was nuts! It did work for me). I think the thing I noticed most was that if I fed him too frequently he would not be hungry enough to eat "hard". He always had to be pretty hungry for the clog to come out. If he was just snacking I don't think he sucked hard enough. I would panic and feed him too often and then it would take longer to get rid of. So bottom line would be to keep heating it as often as you can for at least 10 min each time and feed the baby frequently but not so often that she's just snacking. I had several that lasted almost 48 hours. I had resigned myself to going to the doctor the next day and then they would suddenly be gone! Keep us updated.