Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i know it's a weird question

Default i know it's a weird question

i hope i'm posting this to the best forum. i nursed my second child til just past 3 y/o. she quit nursing almost 8 years ago. recently, i've found that i'm still lactating. it seems very strange to me. it's not problematic, but i do find it weird. it's kind of fascinating in that it makes me wonder if i've still been producing milk all this time. do you have any info on how this happens or why it happens? i saw dr. christiane northrup on oprah a couple of years ago. she said that lactation is where that expression "milk of human kindness" comes from, and she said something about how women can still have the "let down" feeling years after finishing nursing. i just was really surprised the first time it happened.

Default Re: i know it's a weird question

I never fully dried up between my two kids, and there were about 11 non-nursing years between them.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

So did you just suddenly notice milk, or has it been present for the last 5 years since you nursed your baby? Either way, I'd get it checked out by your doctor or midwife. My understanding is that lactation for multiple years after weaning is uncommon, and can be an indication of a hormonal imbalance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is it milk or colostrum? I asked the doctor about it several years after I weaned, and they tested it and my hormones and everything, and said some women just do continue to produce colostrum-like substance and it's nothing to worry about. But I don't know if the same thing would apply for full-on milk.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

frankly, i started dating someone new. not sure if it ever went away or if i just didn't know it was there.

Definitely can't hurt to get it checked by your doctor... There are some kinds of nipple discharge that are abnormal, so they might want to culture it.

I could still express a few drops 4 years after my youngest weaned and my doctor was not concerned. It can certainly linger in small quantities for years, but I don't know how long is too long.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

not sure if milk or colostrum. could i tell the difference or is that just something a doc could tell through testing?

Milk = white or creamy. Colostrum = golden yellow and clear-cloudy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here's another thought - has anyone in your family (a sister, maybe?) recently had a baby? A couple of weeks after DS was born, my mother mentioned to me that she had noticed that she had a little bit of milk, especially when she was holding him. And she was both post-menopausal and hadn't nursed anyone for almost 2 decades! Our theory was that maybe it's a biological/hormonal reaction to someone in your close family having a baby, so that you can nurse them if the mom has a problem?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png