Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another thread about poop...sorry!

Default another thread about poop...sorry!

Hi again...

I guess I'm just full of questions today... Here's the story... My dd is 5 months old. Since about 2 months, she has been pooping only once every other or every couple of days. These poops looked "normal", ie yellowish brown, sometimes seedy, always kinda runny. That was fine... All of a sudden, a couple of days ago, she has started pooping multiple times each day again, like she did when she was first born! Now, I can deal with changing a couple more dirty diapers, but the poop looks soooooo much different! Yesterday and today, she has had multiple green (some are even bright green) slimy poops with some tiny mucousy "clumps" in them. Sorry, that was way TMI! Anyway, she hasn't gotten anything other than breast milk, and I'm pretty sure that I haven't eaten anything lately that I haven't eaten sometime in the past 5 months. I should mention, though, that she has had a cold, but that started over a week and a half ago. Could the two be related? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Marcie
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Default Re: another thread about poop...sorry!

I would guess it is mucus from her cold. Stuff can take surprisingly long to move through the digestive system, or maybe when her immune system finally got the upper hand, her body sort of "released" that extra congestion. My DH always says he's getting better when he starts coughing up the phlegm. (Sorry for that visual, but hey -- it's a poop thread, right? LOL)

Anyway, the thing to remember about poop variations, is that unless you see blood, the real "bottom line" is how the baby is acting, not what the diaper looks like. (Sorry for the pun, I just slay myself when I stay up late like this. Plus, I'm still on Benadryl.)

--Rebecca

It is very likely that the cold is responsible for the green runny poop. A green poop is usually the result of an infection, an oversupply issue or a food allergy. Check out this link about green poops. They can explain it better than I can. Come back if you find that once you have discovered what the issue is, now you need to solve that one. Good luck!

Thanks guys... I figured it was probly the cold, but it never hurts to beg a couple more opinions, right? Anyway, hopefully it goes away as quickly as it showed up because her poor bottom is red and raw now!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

DS has had the same diaper pattern the last few days. Its looked like someone blew their nose in his diapers! You should have heard the noises that DH made when he changed Shiloh's diaper...I couldn't help but laugh

Thanks for the links. I did not know that teething could cause the green, mucousy poops. And boy do they smell!! It was just suggested today by a LLL that I know that it could be rotavirus. My husband has had the stomach bug all week too. Shiloh hasn't fussed too too much, he's just wanted to nurse a whole lot more.

My doctor is so great...he says..."don't give him anything (ie, pedialyte) but your milk...nurse him as much as you can get him to"...not many doctors will say this! How cool is that?

Thanks again for the links!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!