Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: veg./vegan infants?

Default veg./vegan infants?

I would like to raise my baby most likely vegan but we haven't decided yet as we are still eating animal products (we don't really want to-its just hard not to). So I wanted advice from people on what their LO's first foods were? I saw the thread on lentils and people said wait til 8-10 months for legumes, well he's almost 8 months, but he still has not swallowed food yet! I want to encourage him to eat and maybe I'm just not offering enough.

I also don't really want him to have breads or cereals, as most grains and beans have phytate which binds to the minerals (which is why rice cereal is ironically not going to help with iron!!!). I want to sprout them, or just warm soak overnight for that reason.

How many people have waited till they can at least chew to introduce complex proteins and things that require breaking down? Also, I know its hard for babies to eat veggies unless they are mashed up, but was wondering if anyone has had success with raw? I mean lets really think about this... what did people used to do before they were able to heat things? And their babes survived! Maybe there is a reason why they don't have teeth yet! well anyways.. I just need ideas!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: veg./vegan infants?

I do not ever intend on feeding my child meat so doing it while he is young isn't an issue for me either. As for the raw part of veggies, I have done peas and greenbeans raw, but has to puree them first of course as he is only just over 7 months. I don't do a lot of solids yet, just sort of introducing them so to speak but they make up very little of his diet as the rest is breastmilk and I feel comfortable with that being the majority of his eating habits for now. As for fruits, I do all of those raw, and just puree them. So far, so good. We have worked with papaya, mango, apples, bananas,greenbeans, peas and I have used carrots as well, but I steamed them to get them to soften a bit.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I believe Shelly started out with BLS raw. I did not do raw...I did not have the confidence, but we did do BLS.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

What is BLS???

I am a vegetarian for 17 years, my 4yo son eats NO meat. He had cleft lip and palate and becuase of the cleft he had texture issues with foods, still does. So if it wasnt the texture of puree he wasnt eating it.
    Now he eats more variety but is still very selective.

I am wondering if babies (in ancient times before processed foods and blenders...lol) simply didnt eat food, and survived on breastmilk for longer times, until they had most of their teeth and could eat. Then there is the image in my mind of mother birds feeding the babies regurgitated(sp)food.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I am thinking babies survived on breastmilk for longer than we're told to get them eating... but I also believe that we aren't getting enough sunshine, and certain vitamins and minerals. I actually read about a Mom who is going ot be trying the "chewing the food in her mouth and then putting it in her baby's mouth" thing. I don't think I'll be doing that...

BLS is "baby led solids". Lots of Moms are doing that now, instead of purees.

I need to hear from Shelly if she has done raw!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

I did BLS. For Raw veggies, we did and do Cucumber Spears, Carrots after his 1st B-day because of the nitrates, Sugar snap peas, Bell peppers, celery, Raw spinach leaves, Shredded lettuce, Celery root, and cabbage.

I started feeding him organic brown rice, barley and Quinoa at 10 months. Cooked. But whole.
    As well as whole cooked pinto beans. And Kidney beans. I didn't mash any of his food ever.

Way too lazy for formula

at what age did you give those foods, I am so afraid of not giving mashed foods...waht about choking??
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    at what age did you give those foods, I am so afraid of not giving mashed foods...waht about choking??
    I did Baby led Solids. I read the research which stated that if you allow a child to completely in charge of when and what they put in their mouth, they won't choke. And he didn't. He gagged. He puked some. But he didn't choke. There are plenty of defense mechanisms in place for the survival of the species built into babies. Jarred baby food doesn't occur in naturally and we survived as a species before it was invented.
    As long as they can sit unassisted, and have a pincher grasp, they can begin to experiment. I was giving him Watermelon, banana, avacado and sweet potato fries in the 7th month. ( He was offered food at 6months but wouldn't put anything in his own mouth until month 7.) Month 8 we was eating cheerios and Apple wedges as well. Everything I mentioned in my above post was entered between month 9 and 10.

Way too lazy for formula