Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: off to daycare - need more milk!

Default off to daycare - need more milk!

My daughter (5 months) started daycare a few weeks ago...so I pump twice a day and nurse for the remaining feedings. I am concerned that I am not producing enough during the day. I used to give her 5.5oz per bottle...but I can barely pump 5oz nowadays (early afternoon, I can only get 3-4oz).

I DON'T WANT TO MIX WITH FORMULA!!! I can't explain my opposition to having to supplement, I just don't want to...but I don't think I will have a choice.

Why is the supply dropping off? Even over the weekends (when its exclusive nursing), my breasts don't feel as full...is she getting enough? Is there really a drop in demand? (she is on cereal, now)

Default Re: off to daycare - need more milk!

I just thought about something else..could it be that my period is back? will that decrease my milk supply?

I have heard that there is a temporary drop in supply when you have your cycle. So this is probably adding to your difficulties. How long are you away from your baby? If it is eight hours and your baby usually ate 3 times in that 8 hours, then you should be pumping three times. Maybe adding one more pump will help thing.

you could try eating oatmeal to increase supply. check this out:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html