Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Pumping at Work

Default Need Help Pumping at Work

I returned to work on 9/9/09. I had a limited milk storage at home when I came back to work. I work 12 hr schedule 3 days a week, I pump every three hours at my job. I have only been able to get 1 oz from each breast per time. I have tried everything and need help. I have to pump more to keep from giving my child formula. My baby is 11wks old..

Default Re: Need Help Pumping at Work

Have you tried different size breast shield? I had to go up from the standard 24 mm horn to 30mm. Many, many women need larger flanges.

What kind of pump are you using? What is the age of the pump?

Try relaxing and thingking of your DS when you pump. Carry a picture of him or even a recording of him crying (sounds weird but the crying could stimulate oxytocin release and subsequent let down).

Some mamas take fenugreek (three caps three times a day - you need to snell like maple syrup for it to be enough) to help boost milk supply. Mothers Milk Tea or raspberry tea are supposed to help illicit a let down.

Some mamas add a pumping session early in the morning and/or at night before bed to get more milk.

Last, and this was big for me, make sure you are pumping long enough. How long are you pumping? In place of a feeding pump through two let downs. For me that took 15-20 minutes a time.

the same thing happened to me when I returned to work. I was freaking out because I was so afraid that I wasnt going to be able to pump enough to feed him the next day. Eventually, my breasts got used to the pumping and I was able to pump 5 ounces each session (still considerably low amt). THe picture is a great idea. I carried my phone in the bathroom with me (we have a private employee bathroom) and I looked at photos of LO while I pumped.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Actually, 5 oz per session is awesome output. I have never pumped more than 4 oz. Typically an ounce an hour is average.

I am using the Ameda Purley Yours with the 30.5 flange right now...I pump for 15 min every three hours.. I feed the baby at 5:00am and leave for work at 6:15am. No time to pump in the morning..I have tried to pump after his nightime feeding. He sleeps through the night so no feedings during the night. I never had this problem with my other two boys but was able to stay home with them so the whole pumping thing is new to me. Also any suggestions if I do not have enough breastmilk to feed him while I am gone to work????

Just a few things:

• Do you have a hands free system - that helps you relax if nothing else and a relaxed momma makes more milk.
    • You can bring something that smells like your LO - pheremones are a wonderful thing
    • Are you drinking enough water (I am talking about lots and lots here - 64oz is not a lot for a lactating woman)? I found my supply could half (or worse) if I didn't drink enough
    • Oatmeal for breakfast, an oatmeal cookie for snack (oatmeal is a galactalogue)
    • Power pumping at home (you pump for an hour on and off - 10-15 mins on, 10-15 mins off) you can do it watching TV at night when your LO is sleeping or you can do it over the weekend. This is not about how much your produce during that time, it is a stimulation technique so don't worry if you don't get much.
    • It is important to remember that your baby will nurse a lot more at night (and therefore you will make a lot more at night) if you aren't getting much during the daytime. cosleeping can help with this (and help you get some sleep).
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Have you tried different size breast shield? I had to go up from the standard 24 mm horn to 30mm. Many, many women need larger flanges.

What kind of pump are you using? What is the age of the pump?

Try relaxing and thingking of your DS when you pump. Carry a picture of him or even a recording of him crying (sounds weird but the crying could stimulate oxytocin release and subsequent let down).

Some mamas take fenugreek (three caps three times a day - you need to snell like maple syrup for it to be enough) to help boost milk supply. Mothers Milk Tea or raspberry tea are supposed to help illicit a let down.

Some mamas add a pumping session early in the morning and/or at night before bed to get more milk.

Last, and this was big for me, make sure you are pumping long enough. How long are you pumping? In place of a feeding pump through two let downs. For me that took 15-20 minutes a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Just a few things:

• Do you have a hands free system - that helps you relax if nothing else and a relaxed momma makes more milk.
    • You can bring something that smells like your LO - pheremones are a wonderful thing
    • Are you drinking enough water (I am talking about lots and lots here - 64oz is not a lot for a lactating woman)? I found my supply could half (or worse) if I didn't drink enough
    • Oatmeal for breakfast, an oatmeal cookie for snack (oatmeal is a galactalogue)
    • Power pumping at home (you pump for an hour on and off - 10-15 mins on, 10-15 mins off) you can do it watching TV at night when your LO is sleeping or you can do it over the weekend. This is not about how much your produce during that time, it is a stimulation technique so don't worry if you don't get much.
    • It is important to remember that your baby will nurse a lot more at night (and therefore you will make a lot more at night) if you aren't getting much during the daytime. cosleeping can help with this (and help you get some sleep).
    I pump at work everyday and do lots of what these two knowledgable Momma's say....
    Lots, and I mean lots of water...
    Oatmeal, every morning....
    Pump as often as possible even for 25-30mins if I'm into my computer reading emails.....which segues, into - a hands free pumping bra is KEY!
    3pills Fenugreek, 3 pills Blessed Thistle - 3X daily....
    And I never pay attention to my output...When I do, I ALWAYS get less..
    GL, Momma....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008