Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk to Solids Proportions?

Default Breastmilk to Solids Proportions?

I have recently returned to work, and my 10 month old is refusing to drink expressed milk from a bottle, or a sippy cup, or a cup. I returned to work in the spring when she was 5 months old - I'm a teacher - and she went through a short strike but then started taking the bottles again. This time, though, she's just holding out and filling up on solids. She will drink water from a sippy cup, so I'm not worried about dehydration...but I am very worried about her nutrition. It's my understanding that the breastmilk is really really what she needs right now - fats, nutrients, etc.

When I'm home she happily nurses frequently (every 2-3 hours during the day).

I was considering asking her caregivers (my in-laws) to not give her solids for a couple of days (but obviously allow water). I am assuming that if she gets hungry she'll give in and take her bottles again?

Any advice? Thank you!!!

Default Re: Breastmilk to Solids Proportions?

what sorts of solids are they giving?
    as long as they are healthly and good things I would let her have then
    and then just make sure that she gets plenty of time at the breast when you are together.
    Does she sleep all night for you?

She might begin to reverse cycle which is totally fine and she will thrive this way too. If she does it will help you if you are co-sleeping.

Here is info on reverse cycling:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

Since she is a little older she might start eating more solids during the day for her caregivers and then nursing lots at night. My LO did this around the age of one even though he was not at daycare.

ETA: I would personally stay away from trying to make them so hungry that they give in to a bottle. Might cause bad feelings. But that's my personal opinion.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

She's been sleeping just as long at night, so the only feedings she's getting during the week are: one during the night (maybe - not every night), one in the morning, and 3-4 in the afternoon/evening. I wasn't sure that was enough?

what are her wets like??
    As long as they are nursing well 3-4 times plus.. in 24 hours they don't normaly need milk supliments.

Seems to be normal diapers still, but since I'm not with her all day it's hard to tell. I'm more worried about nutrition - breastmilk is so different (more fats, protein, etc.) than baby food (mostly veg/fruit with some grains and some protein).

Also...I hate pumping and then throwing away milk! But I know if I don't pump I won't be able to keep up my supply