Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to University. How do we survive ?

Default Going back to University. How do we survive ?

Hi Mamas,

I am returning to University at the beginning of October and lo (12 months old at that time) will be attending Nursery full-time. However, I still haven't resolved her breastfeeding and feeding issues i.e. she would nurse frequently throughout the day for just a minute or two and break out in tears if I try to nurse her longer and the same goes for solids. She can only tolerate 4 foods due to her huge list of allergies and she only likes lamb out of the foods she eats. The maximum she would eat is 6 ice blocks of lamb for the whole day. So she still is super dependent on my milk for her nutrition. I plan to talk to the nursery staff and ask them to go there and breastfeed her 2 or 3 times (every 3 hours perhaps) hoping that she would nurse longer per session than usually. Is it a good idea to start implementing a schedule from now so that she has some time to get used to it? I am just scared that if I do it now and in result she would decrease her breast milk intake and stop gaining weight again. Is it a good idea to breastfeed her on demand in the early morning, evening and throughout the night (yes ladies at 1 year of age she wakes up no less than 8-10 times during the night for quick nursing) but feed her every three hours during her staying there i.e (9 to 5)?

Also what I fear is even a greater problem is her total inability to fall asleep on her own. To get her to sleep I nurse her and rocket her while nursing and it takes me at least half an hour if she's very sleepy. Then she falls asleep and continues to nurse in her sleep. That is the reason I haven't started any sleep training since dream feeding accounts fora a significant part of her whole intake. How will she possibly be able to sleep there ? Please help me with some inputs on how you helped your kids survive the nursery

Thanks!

Default Re: Going back to University. How do we survive ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*butercup View Post
    Also what I fear is even a greater problem is her total inability to fall asleep on her own. To get her to sleep I nurse her and rocket her while nursing and it takes me at least half an hour if she's very sleepy. Then she falls asleep and continues to nurse in her sleep. That is the reason I haven't started any sleep training since dream feeding accounts fora a significant part of her whole intake. How will she possibly be able to sleep there ? Please help me with some inputs on how you helped your kids survive the nursery
    You will manage, I promise. Kids are totally different in daycare/nursery for some reason. My LO couldn't sleep if he wasn't on me except at daycare where he slept on his own (in a playpen/packandplay) from 3 months onward.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: Going back to University. How do we survive ?

Sixyearplan I'm glad we are going through the same trouble together. I hope it will be easy on both our lo's and that we'll both graduate I'll keep you updated how it's going on and how do we fight challenges. Please do that too. Good luck