Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Illness

Default Illness

I got sick with a cold and had to take cough syrup and decongestents. I think this dried up my milk. Before the cold I could pump 90 to 150 mg. Now, I am only able to pump 15 to 55 milligrams from both brests at a time yesterday and today. In the past I was able to successfully breastfeed my older son which gives me hope that I can get my milk back. Do you think it's possible? I've been taking lots of fluids, including milk, tea and water. What else should I try and for how long do you think I can hope than I can regain my lactation?

Default Re: Illness

So sorry you are dealing with this! The best thing you can do to get your supply back up to where it was is to have baby at the brease, nursing, as much as possible. That supply-and-demand thing really is true. If baby is there working to get that milk, your body will respond. It make take a few days, but hang in there, try not to stress, and keep at it. Come back and let us know how it's going! If things are still tough, there are options for teas and herbs - other folks here know more about those details than I do, though...
    good luck!
    -linda

Linda is right on the money that nursing frequently is the best way to bring your supply back up. You might also want to consider adding in a few pumping session in between feedings. You might also find these links helpful:

Increasing your milk supply

How can increas my milk supply?

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I am sorry you found out about cold medicines so late. Many have a ingredent that is ment to dry up your mucas, which in turn makes your eyes drier and your breast less full. The same goes for any allergy medicine. I am an allergy sufferer and have decided to go a whole year without meds. Do what the pp said, maybe add a little oatmeal to your breakfast that is a low cost yummy method to up your supply. If you think you can afford the time and effort, try pumping after you feed your child. Maybe not every feeding, just start with the ones that you find convinient, like when your partner is home. So when you pump, your partner can handle any baby issues.

My milk is back!!!!!!
    Thank you guys, I am so glad to get support from all of you. I did 3 pumping sessions yesterday and put the baby to breast as often as she asked. She refused to take any formula so she had hard time yesterday. I also drank 3 glasses of milk and a beer before going to bed ( following the advise of several moms), ran warm water in the shower on my breasts and tried to relax and get some sleep.
    I also prayed.

Great!!! Good for you.