Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Interesting article about baby food myths

Default Interesting article about baby food myths

This afternoon, I gave DD some kidney beans without realizing they were a bit hot-spicy. She loved them, but I was a bit worried whether the spice might be bad for her digestive system, so did a bit of Googling and came across this interesting article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/

Here's a little quote from the article:

It turns out most advice parents get about weaning infants onto solid foods — even from pediatricians — is more myth than science.

That's right, rice cereal may not be the best first food. Peanut butter doesn't have to wait until after the first birthday. Offering fruits before vegetables won't breed a sweet tooth. And strong spices? Bring 'em on.

Because we don't have any history of food allergies on either side of the family, I've been pretty relaxed about the kinds of foods I've offered DD so far, and I have to agree that it's the stuff with more complex tastes and not so commonly thought of as suitable baby food that DD seemed to love best: lamb, duck, fennel, olive oil, herbs...and now curry!

Default Re: Interesting article about baby food myths

DS doesn't like bland/boring foods, either. The "right" things to feed babies first varies from culture to culture and country to country - do what works for you and your family!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I agree with this in a lot of ways. Roxie's favourite way to eat avocado is as a spicy, garlicky guacamole!

I just wanted to add that a history of food allergy is not the only red flag for introducing highly allergenic foods. ANY history of allergy can be passed along in genes, and can play out differently in everyone. We held off on peanut butter until a year and then learned that DD has a severe peanut allergy. Introducing sooner or later wouldn't have changed that, but a reaction in a six or eight month old can be much more scary than a reaction in a one year or eighteen month old.

I'm glad you're enjoying offering lots of different tastes! Solids are fun.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I think breastfed babes definitely have a more discerning palate. After all their "food" has had a varied taste from day one!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    I think breastfed babes definitely have a more discerning palate. After all their "food" has had a varied taste from day one!
    Huh, that's an interesting idea. Now that you mention it, the pickiest (adult) eaters I know were all ff.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I ate a LOT of garlic while pregnant and when Em was teeny. At the time we owned an Italian restaurant so it was just easy. And now... Italian food is her favorite. Granted, it is mine as well, and very likely some of the tastiest food that I cook but I do think that in some way it was the flavor she was probably exposed to the most when she was nursing.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)