Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going on travel -- How do I do it?

Default Going on travel -- How do I do it?

Hi there,

I am headed to a conference soon and wanted to find out some strategies. Luckily, my husband and baby are going to come along and I will see them in the morning and night. But I have a problem during the day. I won't have a pumping room. I also won't have great storage options (aside from ice) in the room.

Any advice or strategies are appreciated!
    Thanks!

Susan

Default Re: Going on travel -- How do I do it?

Is there any way your husband could bring the baby to you during the day, maybe during breaks? This worked well for us when I had trouble pumping.

with pp about trying to meet up with your baby & husband, if at all possible. Re storage in your room - have you talked to the hotel? Most hotels will provide a minifridge upon request, and it's usually pretty cheap. That way, if you can't meet up and your LO will need more milk than you can pump wherever you have to (bathroom?? ) you can bring it with you & store it in the room.

How many days is the conference?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

You're in luck, I just got back from my first business trip away from home and have some things to share Unfortunatly my DH and LO could not come w/ me for that 2 day trip, but this is what I'd recommend:

• a. Go to the TSA website and print out the travel rules regarding breastmilk. I didn't know a mother could travel w/ unlimited breastmilk even w/o her LO. Allow a bit more time as sometimes they "scan" it w/ this laser looking thing but don't ever touch the milk. Actually everyone was pretty cool about it but you do have to open your cooler and declare it before it goes through the machine. It has to be labled "human breast milk".
      b. To get the ice packs/gels things (that you might need later in the trip) through security you actually have to have some milk in there, so even if it's 2 oz be sure to have some in that cooler.
      b. Pack a lot of small freezer ziplocs, extra batteries,hand sanitizer or wipes and a permanant marker in w/ your breastpump or bottle stuff.
      c. I used a soft small cooler w/ a strap to carry on my shoulder (it's actually the one my DH uses for work) and filled it w/ ice packs and a bag of ice.
      c. If I thought it was getting a bit warm I asked Starbucks in the airport to fill my ziplock w/ ice and they were more than happy to do so and I didn't even have to buy a thing from them. I double baged my ice.
      d. My breastpump has a battery option, so I used the batteries when I had to pump in the airport or at the conference. NOT ideal, but I did pump in the bathroom and used a "family" or handicapped bathroom and laid everything out after wiping down the counter w/ my wipes and just relaxed while doing it vs in front of everyone in the sink area.
      e. My hotel provided a mini fridge for free since it was for breastmilk, they were super happy to do so as well! I'd recommend calling ahead of time and if they want to charge, ask to talk to the manager or join their frequent user club and call that line (that's worked for me in other situations in that past).

I'm not sure of your exact situation, but hope this helps a bit!
    good luck!!

I just remembered on another thread, but don't forget to look for "family lines" when going through security, it made it much easier knowing that everyone else was going to take just as long going through too!!

This is so helpful! Thank you! I may also call the conference reps and see if they have a pump room for breastfeeding women. I don't want to pump in a bathroom.

Yay! The Hotel is going to put a fridge in my room complimentary since it is for breatsmilk! Wahoo!

I called the conference and asked if they will provide a pumping room and they will get back to me. I guess you never know until you ask. Thanks!!!

Great news! I was a bit nervous about the whole thing at the beginning but then got the hang of it and sort of felt empowered I guess for going through so much to feed my LO only breastmilk! My whole department team knew about it (I was dragging around a small cooler ) and were SO supportive!

Good Luck!