Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abrupt weaning, any success stories?

Question Abrupt weaning, any success stories?

I just posted about night time, but I am being forced to wean my 11 month old, because she can't not bite me with her top teeth, and that has caused a serious gauge in my breast. I tried to do it on the one side that was less painful, and was going to let the other side heal for a week with neosporin and bandaids, but when she pulled off last night while half asleep..her tooth got snagged in the wound which caused tremendous pain...so much for that nipple being less painful to nurse on..so now she wants to nurse, and I feel aweful because she is crying and I just can't do it! I gave her some BM in a sippy cup..but that doesn't change her urge to want to nurse down for her naps and for comfort... what to do? How long will this take? And since she will be 1 year in 15 days, is it still too early for regular milk? Any advice, tips, stories..greatly appreciated, thanks.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: Abrupt weaning, any success stories?

Is she continuing to bite you or are her teeth injuring the already injured area?

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Abrupt weaning is HARD on momma and baby, you will have roller coaster emotions and baby will feel confused and rejected.

We also had biting issues, it HURTS. First of all don't cover anything with bandaids. The more you can expose the nipple to air the quicker it will heal. Keep applying lanolin and neosporin to encourage the healing process.

What measures have you taken to correct the biting? You don't have to nurse her if she bites, but you have to find what works for YOUR baby.

If you do decide to wean we're all here to support you. The slower you can take her through the weaning process the better. I would try dropping one session at a time and replace with a snack or special bonding time. Also, increasing bonding time with her, cuddles, books, snuggles on lap, rocking... will also help the weaning process a bit.

Keep us posted!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I think she is continuing to bite, AND also sticking her tooth in the wound..god it is AWEFUL. It's the size of her tooth, it looks like her tooth is indented into my nipple/aerola..and it's constantly pussing.. yuck. And just ow ow ow in general, BELIEVE me, this has caused A TON of tears for me.. I HATE it, hate it hate it..because the last thing I want to do now after all of this AP time, is tell her no when she wants to nurse, because mommy is feeling as if she is being tortued..it's like my body is going into shock when she nurses, it's just about the worst pain I have ever endured in my LIFE. Thank you for the bandaid tip, very smart! The only time I will have to wear one, is when/if I DO nurse, because she likes to fiddle with my other nipple..and the bandaid actually helped protect it alot, there is no stopping her when she wants to twirl the other nipple..she gets upset and then pulls off..which that is the other thing, she just rips off, I have tried to gently unlatch her, maybe I don't know how, but if she's falling asleep when I do that, it usually wakes her because of the loud popping noise. Before this issue, I was able to just gently pull my nipple out of her mouth with no problem..I can't do that now though, because it's like she rests her tooth right inside the wound she created..I can't stop it! I try getting her to open her mouth wider, and stick it in..but she just pulls it down and continues where she likes to..and it's too agonizing! Plus I am trying not to m/c here, but I'm not feeling very confident..as this is causing me a huge amount of stress and sadness..I feel so bad for my LO, I love her more than anything in the whole world, and it saddens me that she is not understanding what's going on, and why she can't nurse when she wants. Distracting during the day with foods and playing and other things is pretty easy.. although for nap time when we aren't out and about, I have to nurse her to sleep..or we could go for a walk I guess, I am just so darn sleep deprived after these last two weeks...but during the night, I have tried to just hold her or cuddle..she just wants to nurse, I mean, when she wakes, if I have to get up and put her in the carrier 5 times a night..that's hard on me too, because darnit I NEED rest, I'm going absolutely crazy, and my hub can be no help because she just doesn't want him during the middle of the night..when she's half asleep she just wants mommy..and I feel that overnight she is trying to make up for what she didn't get during the day, which...actually I just got her to take some BM from a sippy cup for the first time.. But it doesn't make her want the breast any less....
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

9-25-08

4-30-10

I have totally BTDT momma. I had an open sore just like that forever. Plus you're pregnant and so the pain is a lot worse. I can't remember which one is safe for pregnancy, but stay on a pain reliever... ibprofin or tylenol as well.

If it's pussing I wonder if you need a round of ABX or something stronger than the neosporin?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

maybe you can just keep offering with the shield and not without it? Perhaps she would take it after a while? It would be hard, but it would help you not to wean, which you don't seem to want to do...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

ABX, is that an over the counter cream? And I COULD keep trying to persist the with the shield... lol, little stinker, she bites down on it and pulls it off, rips it out of her mouth with her hand and throws it, in one fowl swoop. But...I know, I am trying really hard to save us, it really just seems like I am losing the battle, BIG time..it's like why us?!

9-25-08

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    ABX, is that an over the counter cream? And I COULD keep trying to persist the with the shield... lol, little stinker, she bites down on it and pulls it off, rips it out of her mouth with her hand and throws it, in one fowl swoop. But...I know, I am trying really hard to save us, it really just seems like I am losing the battle, BIG time..it's like why us?!
    ABX= antibiotics

I would try the shield a bit more.

You aren't losing the battle, you know how breastfeeding is. There are problems you encounter but they are ALL things you can overcome with time and a little patience.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I haven't been in the position of nursing while pregnant, but when Thomas started biting while nursing, I would unlatch him and say "No--that hurts", and stop that nursing session. It only took a few times for him to get it. I wonder if telling her it hurts and helping her relatch so that you're comfortable would help. I think it's as hard for them to figure out what to do with their new teeth as it is for us sometimes!

Would a diferent position help? If she latched on in the football hold maybe?

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09