Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning an 11 month old..success stories??

Question Night weaning an 11 month old..success stories??

Unfortunately..I am in the position where I HAVE to nightwean my little baby who is only a little over 11 months. I've read the article on Dr Jay Gordons method..but can't see that working, as I have tried to just cuddle her, and do the pacifier, but nothing works..the only thing that works is getting up and putting her on my ergo, and walking around the apartment singing softly to her, and that is after having woken up 4-5 times nursing her on my painfully wounded nipples. She also refusus a shield..which I am going to try and see a LC about as soon as I can find one in my area. Does anyone have any success stories they can share about their stubborn little baby who didn't want to give up nursing at nighttime as comfort? Please help. Thanks.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: Night weaning an 11 month old..success stories??

That must be hard for you.
    Can I ask why the need is immediate to nightwean her?

Keep in mind - the 'needs' of a baby vs the 'wants' of a baby are pretty much meshed together until they're closer to 18 months old. Just something to keep in mind when feeling run down at her desire to not 'give up' her night time comfort nursing sessions.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

sixyearplan... I DID actually try a bottle..she's like "Oh no" but I was thinking maybe I should step out and let daddy give it to her, see if that wouldn't help...she just very much a MAMAS girl.
    Number4~ she has bitten a hole into each of my breasts right next to the nipple, which is causing terrible aweful unbearable pain..believe me, even though I am preg, I wanted to nurse her through at least the 2nd trimester/winter...and I am reading tandem nursing right now, but it's all so useless, because I can't seem to fix my problem with my nipples. Ugh, it's just such a rough ugly aweful battle, we are both losing to my nipples/her teeth... it really sucks. Thank you for the though It's just something HAS to give, I'm an overtired mama at the very brittle end of her rope..and I want to be a good mama, so it's just weighing out which is worse..and how to figure this all out, I just can't seem to find a fast enough solution, so it's like weaning may be our only crappy option.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

I think sending Dad in may be your best bet. That was how my lo stopped eating at night. I don't think its unreasonable for an 11 mth old to sleep all night w/o eating but she just isn't used to it. Maybe he can take a couple days off and start over the weekend? You can try having him give a bottle but I doubt she will take it, if she never has before. Try and be sure she is getting enough food during the day and maybe see if he can get her to fall asleep on her own, that may reduce the nightwakings since she will know how to fall asleep by herself. I wish you luck and I am so sorry that you have so much pain!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Ouch, Mama. I can totally understand why you need to nightwean.

I'm about sending papa in to deal with nightwakings- but if you get to the point of desperation, and it's either try the Jay Gordon method or get your nips bitten off, please try it! I did something similar at around 10.5 months and found that it worked really well, and in a much shorter time than expected.

And if you end up with your baby crying in her crib, IMHO crying while mom is there singing to you and patting your back is not the same as crying-it-out alone in the dark. Just because you aren't offering your baby's favorite form of comfort doesn't mean that you're not offering comfort.

Good luck!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with pp. Hope you can take care of yourself and your baby! Let us know how it is going!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

on the injured nipples! It's happened to me a couple times on my left nipple where my DS bit a hole into it, so I can understand how painful it can be to nurse with it! Anyways, no advice here, just wanted to offer

Hope you find a solution and
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and