Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: giving extra pumped milk to 3 yr old

Default giving extra pumped milk to 3 yr old

I just had my 2nd baby. I am exclusively breastfeeding. I usually throw away any leftover milk that has been previously frozen at the end of my work day. Would my almost 3 year old benefit from this milk? Should I be putting it in her sippy?

Default Re: giving extra pumped milk to 3 yr old

It's absolutely beneficial! It's a source of healthy calories and of natural immunities. Many kids are still nursing at age 3, so there's nothing weird about providing breastmilk via sippy.

Just a suggestion, though- unless you have a freezer that's jammed full of milk, don't throw that extra away, even if your older child doesn't drink it! Freeze it, just in case a time comes when your supply drops or the pump gets forgotten at home.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, now that cold and flu season is approaching, it would be wonderful for her to have some breastmilk, if not for the antibodies, for the great nutrition.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I've given my 3yo some in a sippy when she's asked. Nothing wrong with that.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!