Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused - DD eating more? Thoughts?

Default Confused - DD eating more? Thoughts?

My DD was 15 weeks this past Sunday. I breastfeed her and pump while I am away at work. My amounts at work have been pretty consistent, but I am hoping they eventually increase. I pump twice at home, after feeding her - once after the first morning feeding and once after the last night feeding (bedtime). She seems to be staying on me longer lately (the past few days). My night pump has gone from 3-3 1/2 ounces to 2 ounces and my morning pump has gone from 4 - 4 1/2 ounces to 3 ounces. I went through the "regulation" period at 3 months postpartum, where my milk supply decreased slightly. Is this another?? I don't know of any growth spurts taking place at this time. In addition, I've read MANY breastfeeding websites and thought that, in general, the milk intake for babies doesn't change much between 1-6 months. However, one of my friends told me that she started pumping more once her DD started eating more.

I'm confused. If babies are eating more, doesn't that mean that milk intake DOES increase? Maybe I've read too many websites and am getting conflicting information?

Can someone please set me straight once and for all? I appreciate any thoughts or advice that come my way! Thanks!

Default Re: Confused - DD eating more? Thoughts?

It actually sounds like a growth spurt to me. They can happen at any time, since the babies don't watch the calendar to know when they are 'supposed' to grow. So if your baby is nursing more when she is with you, it makes sense that you'd pump slightly less after nursing. If it continues, your supply should adjust and you'll even out again as far as how much you are able to pump after nursing.

Having said that, you might not get back up to where you were- I think right around 4 mos my pumping output dropped a bit and hasn't come back up. If you want to increase supply there are some simple things you can do, like eating oatmeal or pumping for an extra 5 minutes or so after the flow has stopped to encourage a second letdown.

The main thing to remember (especially when pumping and you have actual numbers to focus on/obsess over) is that your baby isn't going to follow any website or book's 'schedule' to the letter. Their intake will go up and down depending on their appetite and what is going on around them. Just like your appetite does. There are lots of things that can affect it, like growth spurts, teething, illness, reaching a new milestone, etc. So try not to focus too much on your daily nursing times and pumping outputs. Changes that go on for a few days aren't going to have a big impact in the long run. It's long-term trends you need to watch out for. Like if you notice your supply steadily dropping over the course of a couple of weeks.

It sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Confused - DD eating more? Thoughts?

Really? Another drop in output at 4 months? Maybe I'm having an emotional day, but it makes me want to cry. I just had one a month ago. Will it just keep dropping from here on out?

I do appreciate your response...sorry if I sound like a basketcase.

I have tried pumping for 5-10 minutes after the last drops of milk...it's making no difference after 3 weeks. I've tried everything...herbs, extra pumping/breastfeeding sessions, oatmeal, compressions, etc. I guess if I am meant to do this, I will do it.