Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Defrosting milk

Default Defrosting milk

Hi Everyone!
    I have been freezing BM for the last 2 months. I want to start using some of the freezer stash and freezing fresh milk so I have a relatively fresher stash at all times. Today was the first day I defrosted BM by running it under warm water...I noticed a lot of chalky flakes in the bag. When I warmed the milk in a bottle warmer, it tasted fine but smelled more like formula milk. Does that seem normal? Should I be heating it up differently? My son drank it without any problems...just want to know because it is an extra task to freeze it and I want to make sure it is still providing him with all the nutrients he would be getting if it came right from me
    Thanks!!!

Default Re: Defrosting milk

I had the same concerns w/ my milk when I was pumping. I read that the "flakes" on the top are just seperated fat - no problem. Also if it smells soapy that's okay. As long as it doesn't stink (like sour milk) and if it tastes fine and LO drinks it it's perfectly fine
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

When I defrost, I like to put it in the fridge the night before if possible. But if not, then I use cool water to thaw it. That works a bit better and allows for less separation.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

with pp, and one more thing - swirl the fat back in gently, not vigorously, before you pour from the bag into a bottle. If there is still some left in the bag, you can even use your finger to "clean it out" and then put that in the bottle - the fat is the filling part, so don't leave it in the bag!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png