Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block feeding and returning to work

Default Block feeding and returning to work

HI all. I posted this on another forum and did not get any response. So I thought I'd try here. With my first daughter I worked and pumped for 18 mos. I will be doing that again with my four week old soon.

I am block feeding and it is helping with my OALD and BF my four week old; however, I am returning to work in another month and will have to start pumping soon for a supply.

My question is how long do I block feed? Indefinitely? I am offering one breast each feeding and the other at the next feeding. Will this effect my supply in the opposite direction meaning not enough milk? Will I be able to pump enough?

Anyone with experience and or advice about this, please help.

Thanks.

Default Re: Block feeding and returning to work

I alternate breasts when I feed my baby (feed from one, during one feeding, then switch to the other for the next feed). I pump from both at work. My supply seems to be holding great.

I would say if your supply starts to dwindle, up your pump schedule at work. Drink lots of water too.

Block feeding does reduce your supply, but should only reduce it to the point where your supply is right where you need it- no more, no less. Also OALD may start to correct itself as your supply regulates. You should be able to pump like normal when you go back to work. As far as how long you do block feeding, it depends on if the OALD continues. If you feel it's evened out some (or baby has gotten used to it) you can stop.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks ladies. Great feedback...I am feeling much better now. My let down is still pretty strong, but baby is giving it back to me less. On second week of block feeding and it is helping tremendously.

I still feed Lilah from one side only per feeding. It seems like all she needs... and when I pump at work, I pump both breasts. I think it works out the same as if I fed her from both breasts - I would probably feed her 6 times at home in the time I pump 3 times at work.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months