Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Default Re: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Congratulations!!! My baby was born on week 41, after 9 hs of induced labor and no changes, through a C-section. My milk came after 4 days, and she had some jaundice that was corrected by putting her under indirect sunlight. She lost more than 10% of her weight by the time we came out of the hospital , because of very contradicting advice I got from nurses, doctors and LCs in the hospital (one being that she was supposed to nurse only every three hours, so if she cried before that it was probably not hunger)- Now she´s a healthy 6 month old baby that has doubled her birth weight. Some ideas:

1) Try to breastfeed as soon as possible after the procedure, on demand, and have your baby sleep with you or at least in the room if possible.
    2) Nurse lying down- I didn´t even know this was possible!! but it really helped with the pain around my mid-section. Sitting down to nurse was very uncomfortable for me, plus lying down will you get some much needed extra minutes of rest
    3) Avoid walking up and down the stairs if possible: I set up two diaper-changing stations: one upstairs and one downstairs. Also arranged two nursing stations as well (I fed her in the bed and in the couch ). In the morning I tried to get everything I needed before going downstairs, and only went up again 2 or 3 times during the day). This helps the scar to heal faster, as I was told.
    4) If possible, limit visitations during the first week. Take up an all friends and family´s offers to take care of your other kids.
    5) Try to be as well-hydrated, well-fed, well-rested and relaxed as possible (like I said, as possible! we all know how it is co-sleeping really helps for this)
    6) Take care of your nipples!! Apply milk or calendula cream on them and air dry.
    7) Offer, offer and offer the breast!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
    20 meses.. increible!! H!!

I had a c-section with my LO and I just nursed on demand at the hospital and roomed with him. I also started pumping once I got home to encourage the milk to come in. I noticed that the milk came in about 4 days after he was born! I know the first 24 hours the baby is not allowed in the room because mom cannot get up, but I had the nurses bring him in from the nursery everytime he was crying or fussing and my DH and I took care of him. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arb2 View Post
    I know the first 24 hours the baby is not allowed in the room because mom cannot get up
    Actually, you can ask if your hospital adheres to the Hospital Friend of the Mother and Child Programme created by UNICEF to promote BF. If it does, they will try to give you the baby as soon as they are done with the cleaning, measuring, etc. so that you can take him/her with you in the gurney to your room.

I personally could not do it because I could barely move my arms (I think exhaustion from the 9hs of labor and maybe too much anesthesia?) , but even then they took the baby to my room an hour later, accompanied by an LC who helped me try to latch her for the first time .

And, also because of this programme, my baby was with me in the room almost all the time. They only took her away for her daily check-ups, and to clean and change her (and even this last part was optional, since if you wanted to you could clean and change her in your own room. I had been told to try to rest as much as I could in the hospital, to let the nurses take her for 3/4 hours during the night to the nursery. But when I asked they looked at me as if saying "you want us to take your baby away from you??? bad momma" good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*flopina; June 14th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
    20 meses.. increible!! H!!

I had a c-section. My milk didn't come in for 5 days. He drank colostrom for all that time. It was enough. He lost weight. Totally normal. I just kept feeding him. And he kept working. And it came in and I just kept feeding. A child only needs colostrom until your milk comes in.

Way too lazy for formula

And I was only away from my baby for about two hours. The length of time it took to be able to move my legs again. He was with me from then on.

Way too lazy for formula

I too bf after a C Section and it worked wonderfully. My son roomed with me so I think it helped. The milk didn't come in for 5-6 days but he had enough colostrum. His urine output was low for the first day or so. But now it is great and he's going strong. Good luck!