Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Default Re: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

I had a c-section and my baby ended up being in the special care nursery for 5 days afterwards. Thankfully my insurance let me stay in the hospital for that long too. I don't really remember how long it took for my milk to come in, but I was pumping milk by the time we left. The main thing for me was consistently trying to nurse - meaning hauling my recently sectioned self out of bed and upstairs to the nursery every 3 hours, and then pumping for 10-15 minutes on each side afterwards. It was exhausting, but I established a really good supply. Being able to room in would be super helpful, and getting a hospital grade pump those first few days is helpful as well. Baby may be super tired from the surgery and medications. We also had to dropper fed to supplement his attempts at nursing, because of how sleepy he was. But eventually, after a few weeks, he woke up and nursed like a champ!

All of my babies were c-sections, and I've nursed them all....I've been more successfull as I've become more experienced. All my babies have been somewhat jaundiced, and with sunlight and nursing, it went away pretty fast. Trust your instincts and nurse.

With my oldest, my milk came in after 6 days.....with my middle child, it was in after 4 days, and with my youngest, it came in after 3 days. I nursed on demand (the youngest nursed around the clock after he was born) and always made sure I had someone to call if I had questions or needed help (my lc's phone rang off the hook when I had my oldest)!
    I'm Jerrie Ann....married to Rod (my wonderful Air Force man), and mother to Nora (Dec 30, 1994), Natasha (Feb 11, 1999), and Jack (Jan 12, 2009)....I'm the owner of Jack's Magic Milk Bags!!!

I had a scheduled c-section (breech baby) and my milk came in 5 days later. Roomed in at the hospital, and nursed constantly. Didn't pump then, and never had to supplement. LO was 8 lbs 7 oz, dropped to 7 lb 9 oz, little bit of jaundice. But with frequent weight checks and his big appetite, he gained 14 oz by his 2 wk checkup. He's now over 15 lbs(12 weeks old).

Good luck with it all! It'll be fine!!

Thanks for all the advice,
    I've a few weeks left now before the baby comes, so plan on giving
    this the best go I can, I've lots of support this time and
    will update once the baby comes and we're home

great!
    You can do it this time.

Hi all,
    Just reading back on all the advice again before I head in next week to have my little baby,
    My section is scheduled for Friday Morning
    Will be back as soon as I'm home to let you know how its all going

I cannot wait to meet our new LO

Good luck mama! You can do this. Be sure to come here with any questions you might have.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lexism81 View Post
    Also, I thought it was the removal of the placenta that triggered BM production? So I always thought that a C section versus vaginal delivery wouldn't matter?
    Just wanted to answer this. Yes it is technically the removal of the placenta that triggers lactation however when you go into labor there is a cascade of hormonal changed that happen that help that process to get started. so ususually it is beneficial to at least go into labor if possible.

anyway I had a Csection and my milk didn't come in till day 5 and we had no issues with BF. Like many PPs have said colostrum is all that babies need in the first couple of days. the only other advice I would have is to try to not overdo it the first couple of weeks. rest, relax and nurse. Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

like I said before you can do this!
    Hope you got into touch with your local leader shes around to help and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lexism81 View Post
    Also, I thought it was the removal of the placenta that triggered BM production? So I always thought that a C section versus vaginal delivery wouldn't matter?

I think this is true.
    Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.