Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Default Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Hi all, I'd love some advice on breastfeeding after a caesarean section, now I've had three babies and am pregnant again, I breastfed 2 out of my three babies in the first week but found despite lots of research and a strong will to feed that a few things weren't in my favour, all my babies were section and so my milk didn't come in til day 5/6 and I have large breasts double gs, I also got such conflicting advice in hospital, one nurse would say baby was latched right other would say It was all wrong, the two babies I breastfed got jaundice and one had to go under the lights, where as my bottlefed baby had reflux and bad colic I have a strong urge to try again with breastfeeding and would really appreciate any advice you can give me. There is a la leche league group in my area but no breastfeeding consultant to hire for the early days, and Its in the hospital I feel I need the help the most
    Thanks in Advance.

Default Re: Advice on breastfeeding after caesarean section

Is it possible for you to labor a bit before having you c-section? That would be both beneficial to your milk and your body.

Your baby will not starve, he's getting colostrum before the milk comes in. In order to keep the biliruben from building up too much in my son's body, I kep him in the sun often. I would put him by the window to sleep in his pack-n-play and nursed him as often as I could. I had to wake him to nurse because he was so sleepy.

Congratulations on the upcoming baby! It's great that you're willing to give breastfeeding another try.

Here are some links which may be helpful:
    Nursing When Well-Endowed
    Breastfeeding After a Cesarean

Since there's no LC in your area, I would call your local LLL now. They may know of an LC who can help, or the LLL leader may be able to offer some hands-on help or at least support.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had a c-section and my milk did take a while to come in. I just nursed her constantly and it did eventually come in. They don't need formula since colostrum is enough for those first few days. Good luck!
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

My baby was born by c-section, my milk didn't come in until about 6 days later. She did fine on the colustrum, and we nursed every couple of hours (set my alarm when it was night time) to get things going. Make sure someone is there to help you with little things (like keeping water by your bed, keeping you fed when moving hurts), and keep researching like you are now. It helps to KNOW the truth so if the nurses don't have the right information you can feel confident and stand your ground.

Can you go to your local LL meeting now, before you have your baby, so you can form a support group ahead of time? There might be someone willing to come up to the hospital and check in on you and your new one after your baby is born...

Thanks for all the replys, It isn't a possibilty for me to labour at all, but will contact my local LLL group and see if i can find out more info, thanks again

I had a C with my first child and pumped while I was in the hospital to encourage my milk to come in. Also roomed-in with my LO and nursed her on demand. My milk came in after 2 days. Perhaps the hospital can provide you with a pump? GL.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I had a C with my first child and pumped while I was in the hospital to encourage my milk to come in. Also roomed-in with my LO and nursed her on demand. My milk came in after 2 days. Perhaps the hospital can provide you with a pump? GL.
    Thanks, thats something I will definitely look into
    I have absolutely no problem feeding on demand, My last child fed for 8 hours one day without stopping It was when despite this she got Jaundice and hadn't wet or dirtied in 8 hours I was worried, will keep researching and find as much help as I can over the next few months, thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    That's exactly what I did. My milk came in after 2 days as well. I had DH go home and get my pump so the LC could show me how to use it but while I was there, I used the hospital pump, the Ameda. I ended up renting one too. The one I have for my personal use is the Lansinoh double electric which works really well too.

I also had to have a C section with my LO. It was scheduled, so I didn't labor at all. I roomed in with LO and let her nurse on demand. She nursed the heck out of me and I got my milk in three days. YOU CAN DO IT MAMA! My LO was also jaundice, but that didn't interfere with BF at all. She spent a little time under a sunny window, but who knows if that helped...

Also, I thought it was the removal of the placenta that triggered BM production? So I always thought that a C section versus vaginal delivery wouldn't matter?

I think the best thing you could do is to room in with your baby, nurse as much as possible, and make sure to get good nutrition and at least a little sleep. GOOD LUCK!!