Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged Duct/Mastitis: getting better, or should I still be worried?

Default Plugged Duct/Mastitis: getting better, or should I still be worried?

Hello ladies,

I've had my first brush with mastitis (whee!), and I'm not sure if it's resolving or if I'm just being overly optimistic. Help?

It started with nipple pain about a week ago that grew increasingly more painful and deeper in my breast. The pain peaked two days ago, I started developing redness in my breast, and then yesterday I had a lot of mastitis symptoms: fever (up to 102), aches, chills, extreme fatigue, etc. But today my fever is gone and I'm feeling much, much better.

However, my breast is still red (well, pink really and more blotchy than streaky) and tender, although much less so than previously. I also still feel what might be a lump, although I'm not sure; it's really deep in my breast tissue. Also my breast is a little mis-shapen, although that's resolving I think, too.

I've been nursing every two hours, affected breast first, changing position often. I'm trying to get more fluids, although I'm just terrible about drinking enough water. And I've been doing Ibuprofen every 4 hours for pain, although I'm due for another dose now and I don't think I need it.

So, should I thank my lucky stars and keep nursing every two hours until it's all better (my LO still nurses about every 2 hours anyway)? Or should I call the doc? I have insurance issues so I don't want to involve him unless it's necessary.

Default Re: Plugged Duct/Mastitis: getting better, or should I still be worried?

If you don't have a fever, chills, and aches, it's probably getting better on its own and you don't need antibiotics. But if you get really sick (flu-like symptoms), get thee to a doctor! In the meantime, keep up your routine of massage, constant nursing, warm compresses (I find massaging in a hot bath with epsom salts to be really helpful), etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Plugged Duct/Mastitis: getting better, or should I still be worried?

with pp! Come back and post if you start feeling ill again. Keep us posted!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

ive dealt w/ a plugged duct in my right breast 3x now and managed to make it go away each time. It sounds like your clearing it on your own but keep checking your temp and if you feel sick call your doctor. Also aside from massage and offering the affected side first, i also found that pumping while bent over (using gravity) and applying a heating pad inbetween nursings makes it go away much faster.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone -- the plug has FINALLY cleared! I tried all your suggestions so I'm not sure which one did the trick, but whatever it was I'm really relieved. It seemed like it was going to be there forever!!

Now I'm dealing with the aftermath of a bleb and about nine friction blisters, but it's downhill from here. Thank you again -- I love this place!

KUP if anything else comes up!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on