Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it me or the pump?

Default Is it me or the pump?

Forgive me, I am in uncharted territory and short on time.

So I never pumped much the first time around. Hardly ever. Right now I am wanting to pump, and aside from making it a habit, I am having a hard time. I hardly ever pump more than 1-2 oz (between both breasts) but that is usually between feedings when I know I don't have much milk. So I tried to pump the other morning when I was really full (dd is going longer stretches at night and in the early morning). I knew I had a lot of milk but I was able to pump less than ever. I got maybe an oz?

I am wondering if it is the pump? I lose suction and have to keep reapplying the shield so I am thinking it might not be a good fit, but it does not appear to be too big or too small. So is it just a poor pump doing a lousy job with suction, possibly a wrong size, or just me?

I hate to buy a new pump if that is not really the problem.

Oh yes, I have an Ameda Purely Yours pump.

Any imput appreciated!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: Is it me or the pump?

Hi Misty!

Are you feeling a letdown? You might also try some of the "pumping tricks," ie, looking at a picture of your baby, holding something that smells like your baby, doing something totally unrelated to pumping like watching tv or reading a novel. Another trick that's been found useful is pumping while your baby nurses on the other side, which can be quite tricky, but if you are trying to stock up on milk, it might help get a letdown.

The Ameda is generally considered a "good" pump, so while it could be a lemon, its not likely the pump. However, some mothers do find that a different pump works better. My sister-in-law had much better success pumping with a cheap single hand pump than she ever had with the hospital grade pumps she used.

Good Luck!

I lose suction and have to keep reapplying the shield so I am thinking it might not be a good fit, but it does not appear to be too big or too small. So is it just a poor pump doing a lousy job with suction, possibly a wrong size, or just me?
    I'm going to go with "wrong pump" and possibly "wrong size". I used a Purely Yours and found it underpowered for my needs. Many people have plenty of success with the PY, so I'm not against the PY per se, but I think that if you are constantly losing suction and needing to reapply the shield, this may not be the model for you.

If you are planning to pump more than just a little bit, I think you're going to want to invest in an upgrade.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It may be the shield/horn. Does your nipple get comfortably sucked into the horn without getting stuck on the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'm going to go with "wrong pump" and possibly "wrong size". I used a Purely Yours and found it underpowered for my needs. Many people have plenty of success with the PY, so I'm not against the PY per se, but I think that if you are constantly losing suction and needing to reapply the shield, this may not be the model for you.

If you are planning to pump more than just a little bit, I think you're going to want to invest in an upgrade.
    (Love what your LO said in your siggy )

I think this is what is going on too. The problem is that it is considered to be one of the best pumps- the reviews are all great. So any suggestions as to what to try?

To answer the other questions, yes I am having letdown (I think the only reason I get any at all) and it is obvious, although I am not sure that my letdown is as strong with the pump. When nursing, I have overactive letdown a lot of the time.

And yes, my nipple is all the way in the pump. I just keep losing suction. Also, I use it at the highest setting and it is not uncomfortable at all. Isn't pumping usually a bit uncomfortable if you are getting good suction?

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

i had the same issue..What helped me was finding a comfortable place (temp wise, and privacy) a cold glass of water and something to read. Then you have to pump the same time each day you will notice an increase with in 3 days. The cold water helps with let down so drink some before the pump session and also through out the session.
    My pump is a meleda advance in style..so it has two cycles..the let down phase and the expression phase I run both then when I stop producing milk I run the let down phase again..if you do this each time you will eventually get another let down..
    the key is get in a relaxed state.
    I find if I try to pump at home (rather than work) I dont get as much because Im worried about the baby..wether that he is going to cry and i wont be able to hold him cuz im pumping or he will be hungry when im finished and wont have enough milk for him.
    something else I found helpful and well worth the money..a pumping bra..its hands free and I can read to take my mind off the amount of milk that im pumping.
    Hope this helps!